Chapter Twenty-Eight

In the morning, Peter Pan announced the Lost Boys and Mara will all have jobs to do today. It was to gather supplies because they were running low. Two groups will join together, there were five groups total in the camp, and one will be left out.

"James and Ace" Pan called, James had his head up and his attention was on Pan, "Your group are up for making medicine"

James exchanged a nod.

"Felix, your group will do the trading"

Felix's group let out disappointment groans which Mara assumed 'trading' must be bad. "Why not James, Pan?" Felix asked, "he's the Native whisperer"

"Well, you and your entire group were all caught in yesterday's game, this is your prize, Boys" Pan told them. He turned to the rest of the boys, "Thomas and Twins, you're up for hunting"

Mara and her group's job was to make medicine, she made medicine before, for the pain, her guardian taught her how to make pain medication.

"Remember, you move quickly, you finish early and you get free time for the rest of the day" Pan reminded.

That sounded good, the quicker they finish making medicine, they're free for the rest of the day. When Pan finished, that's when everyone moved, hunters gather their hunting weapons, traders left the camp already and the makers were gathering tools to make medicine with.

"We'll just get some herbs, mushrooms, any berries and fruits you can find" James said as he grabbed an axe nearby "Ace and his group are heading around Mermaid Lagoon and we're going to the Cannibal Cove"

Mara grabbed a knife from the table and tomahawk that stuck on the tree truck near her tent. She tucked the small weapons into her belt and was ready to leave. Once they did, James lead the way as usual, Curly was behind him and Mara walked behind him and Tootles followed. Even Ace and his group were following them, for now she assumed until they were close to the Lagoon and Cove.

Sometimes during the walk to the Cove and the Lagoon, the two groups exchanged conversations, only Mara didn't say much even when Ace attempted to speak with her, asked her where she was from, what she does for living, what happened to her family. She answered all weakly and with mumble. She didn't hate Ace, she knew what he was trying to do, and she just wasn't interested. It was until James saved her when he told her and the group he needed their help to collect the herbs he spotted meanwhile Ace and his group found mushrooms nearby to pick up.

"He's bothering you, isn't he?" James asked Mara, while they plucked the herbs.

She merely shrugged in response, "Least he's not trying to kill me"

James softly chuckled. "You can't blame him, he hasn't seen a girl besides Tiger Lily for a very long time"

"How am I so different from Lily?" She gave him a funny look.

"Very different" James huffed, "She's a warrior and you're a fighter, she's witty and you're smart, she's something—" he shrugged "but above all, you're prettier in Ace's perspective"

Mara looked at him as she asked, "And you don't think I'm pretty?"

James had his eyes on her with a small smile, he didn't answer at all, he gave a weakest shrug while taking the herbs down and shoved them into his pouch. "Let's keep going, shall we?"

He seemed a little embarrassed for a moment there, Mara let out a small smile as she followed him to join the rest of the their group.

The two groups proceeded to the Cove and the Lagoon, and on the way, they sang the same song about 'Following the Leader' and something about 'Neverland' or 'Lost'.