Chapter 3: From This Moment On

A/n: Hello again, friends! Welcome back!

Some of you may recognize this story. It is the third chapter of the Widowmaker X Reader saga, pulled directly from the Overwatch X Reader series, revised and retconned to match earlier entries.

PLEASE critique! If you think something is wrong or my writing style needs improvement, please let me know! I hope you enjoy!

-🕷-

City lights glowed around you. The stars were bright, the moon was shining, and you were content. It was as if the whole world was at peace.

Then, the lights began to turn off. The stars vanished as well, leaving a blood-red moon as the only light source.

A dangerous chill ran up your spine. You swore you could hear whispering in the darkness.

Someone put their hand over your mouth, followed by metal pressing on the back of your head. It felt like a gun. A chilly, but familiar voice whispered in your ear.

"Bonne nuit, mon amour."

POW!

"GAH!" You launched forward in bed, hand on your weapon, your battle instincts kicking in.

Your bedroom was empty. The light was off, the curtains billowed in the wind from your window. The thunderstorm roared outside. The gunshot in your dream must've been a lightning strike in reality.

After confirming your safety, you relaxed against your pillow, gripping your head in exhaustion. Sweat beaded on your forehead. It was not a good night.

Your door opened. Lena peered in.

"Are you all right, luv? I heard you yell."

You gave her a smile.

"Yeah, just... bad dream."

She considered whether or not to believe you, but relented. She trusted you.

"If you say so, luv. G'night!" She winked at you, then closed the door, leaving you alone once more.

You knew the voice in your dreams. Ever since the night at the manor, she's been haunting you. You want to see her again, and you don't want to see her again. She brings up too many complicated feelings. But you had to find her again. Maybe, somehow seeing her in real life would force her to vanish from your nightmares.

After a month of silence, you decided that you would find her yourself instead of waiting for her to come to you.

You did some digging. Cold leads and false starts dominated your search at first. But you eventually found something. Apparently, she and Gerard had owned a cabin near Lake Annecy in France. You would go there first, seeing if it drew her attention. Your friends decided it was the best course of action.

Lena hugged you just before you left.

"Goodbye, luv. I'll see you soon, yeah?" She smiled at you, but you could tell she was worried.

"I'll be fine, Lena. Don't worry about me." You hoped that you woukd see her again.

Several hours and a flight to Paris later, and you had arrived at Lake Annecy. The crystal clear water shimmered in the starlight. The cabin itself looked abandoned. You would wait here for her return.

That is, if she would come at all...

The front door groaned open. It was pretty big for a cabin. A living room greeted you as you entered. A faded rug and a cold fireplace decorated the room. Stairs led up to a second floor and an attic.