Welcome To Life 101

~ Demi ~

     It was morning. My face was hot and I hadn't gotten any sleep due to the fact that Selena spoke on 'falling for me.' What was that even suppose to mean? How the hell did we get from just fooling around to her saying those words, or words similar to them? What about Nick? What about how I felt in this entire situation? Why in the world did I even tell her about how long these thoughts have been swirling in my head? It was a mess. Instead of my typical night of debauchery with Robert, I stood on the balcony of my hotel room for hours.

     The night blended in with the morning. It was still pretty early when I strolled into my room, grabbing some comfy shorts and a top. I had to get out for a run. My energy level was pretty low and I knew I'd be pushing my limits, but I needed this. My phone lay on the bed and I left it there, tying my hair up before heading down the stairs. The hotel was filling up with the sweet smell of cinnamon buns as I made it out the door. No one would be up at this hour to follow me, so without a map, I began to run.

     I had to sort through some things as the wind whipped through my hair. First, I was madly infatuated with Selena once upon a time and it killed me. I tried to better myself after she went into a relationship with Nick and ended up falling head first into forbidden territory. Drugs and alcohol took over and I became a menace to not only myself, but to my friends as well. I pushed Selena away. After a few months of therapy and years of vowing never to step within the woman's presence ever again, no matter how ridiculous it was, I was back here. I was falling all over again. But this time however, she fell too.

     As my legs carried me around the city, I took in the scenery. This place was beautiful. Tomorrow night would be one of the last shows we were able to perform as I began welcoming it with ease. I needed to get from under the grip of tour life in order to straighten myself out. Once I arrived back at my hotel room, I noticed my phone was lighting up. Two calls and six messages later I noticed Marissa's name running across the screen. I happily placed the device against my ear after redialing her.

     "Demi Lovato, how dare you ignore the best thing that has happened to you in your life? I'm like the greatest person of all time and here you are, ignoring me." I heard the woman go on before I laughed into the receiver.

     "Marissa, calm down. I was just out on a run. Nothing major." I stepped out onto the balcony, my mind slowly clearing as I spoke to my friend. "So what calls for the constant messages?"

     "You didn't hear this from me, but uh, your best friend is kind of hopping around if you know what I mean."

     "Elaborate." I encouraged as she took a deep breath.

     "Face call me and I'll be ready to spill all that I know." Once my friend hung up I pondered on calling her back right away. She gave me no time to think it over as she called me and I answered. Marissa's hair was pinned up, a devilish smile caressing her cheeks.

     "What? Spill." I leaned against the balcony, facing the room as the wind slowly whipped through my hair.

     "Now I'm not saying Nick has been hanging out with an old girlfriend. Not saying that at all, but I will say that I have proof."

     "Marissa, this isn't funny. What do you want to tell me?"

     "So you know Miley? Yes, that Miley. Well, apparently she and Nick have been having dinner outings these past few nights. You know, I'm not saying anything is happening because he's so in love with Selena. But you know, it hadn't stopped him before from breaking up with your little friend just to sleep with Miley a couple of times, only for her to take him back weeks later." As Marissa studied my face for a reaction or response.