♪ TWENTY-THREE ♪

"Snuffles," Aurora calls out exasperatedly, dropping onto the grass. "You can't eat that!"

Three hours ago, Aurora - after drinking her coffee, along with Jonah's and Zach's - had made the decision to teach her rambunctious puppy tricks.

Unfortunately, the black Labrador, despite his owner's many attempts, was having nothing to do with it. He continues to run around the background, exploring everything and doing as he pleased.

Sitting on the lawn next to her, Jonah stifles a laugh and quickly earns a glare from his girlfriend.

"You're doing great," he encourages.

"Do you want to try?"

"Absolutely not." He holds his hands up in defense. "I'll leave that to you."

Aurora pouts, prevented from retorting as she becomes distracted by what Snuffles is doing only a few feet behind Jonah.

"SNUFFLES MARAIS!" She shouts, causing Jonah to jump. "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!"

The pup glances at her before listening to her for the first time all morning and dropping the stick in his mouth, scampering away to pounce on something else.

Aurora smiles in victory as Jonah looks over at her, confusion clearly written across his features.

"You're the parent," he begins slowly. "Shouldn't his last name be Daniels?"

"Nope," the brunette confirms, resting her head on his shoulder to block the sun from her eyes. "Kids usually take their dad's last name; just like how most women tend to take their husband's last name when they get married. Plus, Snuffles Marais sounds a lot better than Snuffles Daniels."

"Do you see yourself taking my last name one day?"

Aurora sits back up, surprised by the sudden serious and hopeful expression on his face.

"Why wouldn't I?"

Jonah doesn't answer, instead crashing his lips onto hers.

"IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!" Corbyn yells through the open den window.

Jonah laughs, pulling away as Aurora throws a glare at the blond.

"This isn't our first kiss, dumbass!"

××××

"Hey, Caramel," Aurora says from her spot on her large teddy bear. "You should come join me with your bear. Teddy needs a friend that's his size, unlike Frederick."

Carmen laughs. "I'd lo-"

Her response is cut off by the loud knocking that echos from the front door. Daniel and Aurora immediately jump to their feet, rushing to answer the door. Much to Daniel's disappointment, Aurora reaches it first.

"You've gotta be quicker than that," Aurora teases, running a hand through her hair and opening the door with the other.

Daniel sticks his tongue out, moving behind her to see who the visitor is.

Outside the threshold stands a complete stranger. Aurora assumes he is a teenager, as he looks to be around a year younger than her. His expensive jeans are loose but his black shirt is tight enough to reveal the outline of his abs underneath.

There's a smug look on his face, his eyes covered by his sunglasses. Aurora notices that his hair is fixed in a way that reminds her of Zach. She takes a disliking to him immediately.