- Large plastic drop cloth
- Twine, Hemp or Cotton Yarn
- 4 ounces basic white glue
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup warm water
- Petroleum jelly
- Clear, fast-drying spray paint
- Lantern lights or white twinkle lights
1) Blow up balloons to desired size. Remember, your balloon will be the size of your lantern balls.
2) If you plan to place a lantern light in your finished lanterns, draw a circle on the top of each balloon large enough to fit the lighting fixture. If you're not planning to light the lanterns or you'd prefer to stuff them with a simple strand of twinkle lights, you can skip this step (just make sure you leave enough space while wrapping to stuff the twinkle lights inside).
3) Lay a plastic drop cloth over your work area setting up a place where balloons can be suspended from the air to dry.
4) Mix glue, cornstarch and warm water in a large container until all lumps are gone, then cover each balloon in petroleum jelly (using rubber gloves for this cuts down on the mess).
5)Feed the twine through the glue mixture until it is coated, then start draping it around the balloon.
6) Wrap the ball vertically and horizontally to a comfortable tightness. Once ball is wrapped to your liking, use a piece of twine to suspend it from the drying space of your choosing.
7) Allow balls to dry for 24 hours. Then, pop the balloons.
8) Spray the balls with clear, fast-drying spray paint. Once they're dry, insert the lights, and you're ready to party.
DISCLAIMER: I did not try this DIY out, so I don't exactly know how well it will turn out.
WEBSITE I GOT THIS DIY FROM:
DEDICATION: a_dee_ // votes