Chapter Three: Caught

Mark's POV

Jack was out on vacation, I stared at his calendar to see when he would be home which it said he would be gone for three more days. "Three days, that is more than enough time for me to do what I need to." I said to myself, although food was a bit more difficult to get, without the human being around it was much more of a peaceful task. 

After a day and a half past I was certain he wasn't going to come home just yet I had until tomorrow I keep telling myself. I was making my way to the top of the fridge, that is where he keeps the cereal. I had to climb two sets of shelves as well as one cabinet. I had just hooked onto the cabinet and jumped from the shelf when the door swung open. I was too high up to let go and too far away to quickly climb. I had to do something but as soon as I was about to jump I heard a loud crash and footsteps coming closer. 

When I turned my head to the sight of the sound I saw human Jack staring right at me with his big blue eyes. I was frozen but I had to do something, I was too afraid to move so I just closed my eyes and waited for the worst to happen. After a few minutes I just heard my hook being grabbed as well as my string I was latched onto being shifted. I took a peek and instantly regretted it as I was right in front of his face. 

"PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!" I screamed and held onto the rope for dear life. "Whoa dude chill out! I am not gonna hurt you lil dude." I was shocked and stared at him with tears streaming down my face. I was utterly confused as he just simply watched my every movement. "COULD YOU  AT LEAST PUT ME DOWN?!"  I knew he probably wasn't going to let me go but at least if he put me down I would have a chance. Sadly, all he did was put me above his hand and say "You can get off the rope you know, I promise I wont hurt you little buddy." 

I looked at his hand and slowly slide down the rope while watching his every move. My two feet landed and then he took my rope away. I stared at him and he just smiled at me. " So.. what exactly are you?" His eyes sparkling with awe as if I was a new puppy. " I am a borrower, you know those tiny people living in houses, the things that are supposed to be FICTION." He frowned at me, "Well I knew that but I guess I was expecting a different answer. My name is Jack by the way." He gave me his other finger to shake but I just flinched every time his moved it closer. "My name is Mark. And if you will excuse me I have to go." 

He gave me a confused look, "Why?" I slumped down and simply said the rule we all knew, "Once a borrower is seen they have to move." I was simply given the reply "oh." Before being placed on the counter with my rope. After that he simply backed away to give me space but still close enough to stop me if he really wanted. 

 He looked sad, but it was the borrower way, plus humans were dangerous and he could have easily killed me. I know others that weren't so lucky when they had a human encounter. Once I made it back to the cabinet my entrance was located  I looked back to see Jack slumped on the counter, "Wait, is he.. Crying?" I watched him cautiously and against all my instincts I climbed back down to see if he was okay. I made it to his arm and hugged it the best way I could before moving back just to keep a good distance between us. 

After a few minute I came closer to him, "Hey.. Jack.. are you alright?" I really didn't know what to do, but this felt right. He was kind to me and didn't hurt me so I felt as if it was okay to be doing what I was doing. After a few seconds a hand snaked towards me and I was engulfed in warmth. I quickly realized he was hugging me, so I went from real tense to being calm. He seemed to have stopped crying so I did something right. However, I knew I may have made a mistake as his heart beat soon lulled my body to sleep. 

A/N I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH I HAVE WRITTEN TODAY I AM SO SO HAPPY MY WRITING NICHE IS BACK!!