Volt

...Come on Jaselyn. Your first high school party! I smiled at the thought. Finally, I could become something other than a social reject!...(and continue :P)

Claire and I arrived at the mall and immediately started speed-shopping. We headed straight for our favorite store: Volt. The party was marked as informal, so we decided that Volt was the best place to go.

We strolled through the mall, our shoes clicking on the pristine white floors. We headed past the Macy's and the McDonald's and up a few flights of stairs until we finally reached the shop. Claire squealed with excitement, and burst through the doors.

"Ooh, look! They're having a sale on jeans!" she cried, rushing around the store in a giddy frenzy.

"Jase, these sweaters are absolutely to die for!" Claire sprinted to a display of cable-knit sweaters in various shades of pink.

I smiled, enjoying watching her go crazy over clothes. Claire hardly ever went crazy, but when she did, her thoughts bounced around her mind so fast that I could hardly keep up with her.

I walked over to the jeans, and started looking through the various shades and styles of denim. I finally decided on a dark, skinny, ripped-at-the-knee look that a lot of girls at school had been wearing lately. I grabbed the pair of jeans and headed over to the shirts.

I had been wanting this pretty tanktop from Volt for a while, and I decided that since tonight was a special occasion, I could buy something outside of my budget. My eyes lit up when I saw the top. I don't usually get excited over clothes, but this shirt was different.

It was blue and flowy, with pink floral patterns decorating the back. I had tried it on once, and it was amazing. It accented what little curves I had, and I actually felt pretty for once in my life. I grabbed it off the rack, then glanced over at Claire, who had both arms full of clothes.

"You're not really going to buy all of that, are you?" I asked.

Claire looked at me incredulously. "Of course not, Jase! I just wanted variety!"

She grabbed my hand and practically dragged me to the dressing rooms. We waved at the dressing room attendant, Clark, who knew us well enough to trust that we wouldn't shoplift the clothes we were trying on.

He unlocked two rooms right next to each other, then went back to his post, saying, "You two ladies have fun in there."

I was shoved into a dressing room by Claire, who squealed, "Your turn first!"

I struggled with my jeans, which threatened to cut off my circulation. I slipped the sheer tank top on, then admired my outfit in the mirror.

My daydreaming was interrupted by Claire's impatient pounding on the door. "Are you okay in there, Jase?" she asked.

I giggled, something that I rarely did. This day was just too good not to giggle. "I'm coming, I'm coming! Jeez."

"Okay, I'm closing my eyes. Tell me when you're out here," Claire said. It was our traditional shopping ritual to close our eyes when the other was finished changing. We got the idea from Claire's mom, who says that "Surprises are better when you close your eyes."

I stepped out into Claire's line of vision. "Okay, I'm out," I said.

Claire took her hands off her eyes. For a second, she was completely silent, just staring. Her eyes traveled up and down my outfit, darting from my face to my jeans to my top in seconds.

Then, she met my curious gaze.

"Oh, my God."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TEE HEE! Sorry for the cliffhanger!

pweez pweez pweez don't throw rotten fruit at me!

<3 GRACIEGRAY