The Mute Mistress: Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Three days later, Mary had yet to put down her wall. Sunday morning, he waited outside for her again but this time she had her purse on her shoulder. It was easier to bear her silence spending the last two days in the state over for business. He felt hopeful flying back, but her continued coldness shattered the optimism of time and distance working in his favor. He followed her into the kitchen, but instead of calling her, he sighed loudly. Mary placed her purse on the counter beside the three empty mugs. Just like the days before, she eventually looked at him long enough to ask what he wanted for breakfast. Food orders were the height of interactions for the last few days and it clawed at him to suppress his anger. Again, he ignored her question in preference to indulge in her cold feelings. What followed was a loss of eye contact, but this time he refused to let her alone without knowing where she was going.

He knew it was selfish to demand anything of her, but after days without her smile pointing at him the constant chipping at his patience finally cracked him.

"Where are you going?" he asked, zooming to her side. She staggered back. Dammit. He couldn't forget she wasn't like Karina, he remembered. Both were fragile, but Mary wore her delicacy on her sleeves whereas he was used to pushing and prodding and shouting for a scrap of progress.

Mary bypassed him fearfully to grab her bag and pull out her phone. Following her face, he saw the glisten in her eye as she hunched past him and rushed in the direction of the mudroom.

"Nathan!" Belle whispered sharply. His head jerked in her direction, briefly sick from the shock.

"Belle, what is going on with Mary?" he asked pointedly from where he stood. "She's not talking to me at all."

She looked to the ground and informed, "She is not feeling well."

Frustrated, he asked briskly, "You said that yesterday. How isn't she okay?"

"I'm unsure, but let her be. She's taking off today to attend personal errands."

"Is she going to a doctor?"

"Nathan, please!" Belle shook her hands. "We both know the more we push the more we risk her health. And I don't want to see her leave us again. If we care, we will leave her alone."

She passed into the pantry, and he followed. Hearing him, she grabbed a box of biscuits, paused and showed half her face. "These last few days have been stressful, but we put up with it for you. Just share a little more grace with the people who worry."

"Are you still angry with me about the gala?" He murmured.

She squared herself to him. "I love you, Nathaniel. Of course, I'm still upset. These nights aren't what they were a year ago. You've changed and I can feel it and see it. I do my best to stand back and let you be a man, but these last few years have been confusing. Us moving into this home we hardly use the majority of, your relationship with Ms. Burke, your excessive drinking and reluctance to open up. Mikä hätänä? Puhu minulle tai puhu veljesi kanssa. (What's wrong? Talk to me. Talk to your brother.)"

"I have to go to a meeting now," he said in a huff before fleeing the mansion. The last thing he wanted to hear was how disappointed Belle was, but her words replayed in his head all the way into the Business District and past the Michelin Tower. He felt an uncomfortable sweat strutting into Reagan Digitals building. Nathan pulled his suit jacket taut before stepping out of the elevator and approaching the receptionist's desk.

"How may I help you, sir?"

"I have an appointment with Rafal. Vanderbilt."

Her brows flashed. "Oh yes, he's ready for you. I'll alert him that you're here."