I'm Ellie the Elemental

I walked around a donut-shaped superhero compound, looking for the President's office. I found it, all right, but she wasn't there. I went back to my office, passing my partner Zael's office (His last name started with a B, but it was Russian and he told me just to call him Zael). I was his sidekick, but we worked more as partners. I just didn't like being in the limelight. I peeked into his office, hoping to see if he was busy or not. He wasn't even there.

I heard the sounds of a machine gun and glass shattering, and looked the outer glass wall of the compound to see Zael hovering over the sea with a jet pack and two machine guns. I sprang into action immediately, flying out the now empty pane of glass, noticing that the compound in the middle of the ocean was less donut shaped and more Bundt cake shaped.

"Zael, what are you doing?!" I shouted to him over the wind.

"Stay out of this; you don't understand what's going on!" he yelled back bluntly without making eye contact.

"You're trying to kill your friends, and the only thing I don't understand is why," I countered.

Zael groaned, then turned to look at me. He looked dead inside as he said, "I really hoped it wouldn't come to this," before he aimed a shot for my head.

He barely missed. Seeing that I was still  alive, albeit extremely shocked that my best friend would try to take my life, Zael grew frustrated and fired three more shots, only one of them missing, and the other two lodging in my chest.

I fell from the sky, crashing hard into the sea below me.