We Talked About Tomatoes: 10 - 6 Years, 4 Months and 3 Weeks Later

Start from the beginning

"How are you planning to explain Harriette to Bryce? Or Harry? They could easily mistake it to be Harry's."

"Well . . . whatever, you know? They can think what they want. I mean, I'll at least tell Harry it isn't his and say I got knocked up or something when I moved to New York. Ivy made it clear she just wants to know Harriette, just not be her mother or announce it to the world. Besides, how bad do you think Harry would feel? Not only does the love of his life slash best friend cheat on him and use him, but she gets nocked up with another guy's baby in the process."

"True. But Harry's a banker, you know? Numbers," Steph replied cryptically.

"And?"

"He'll do the math!"

"I don't have to tell him her birthday. Look, Steph, let's just focus on you right now. So, you still want shellfish for your entree? Have you made sure no one's allergic?"

I looked at Steph who was staring at me blankly. I knew she wanted to discuss more but I was too tired. Finally she gave up and sighed.

**************

I stared queasily at the long mirror. Was I too dressed up? I was wearing a cream, silk shirt that reached just past my elbows. I had worn a mini black skirt under it, only reaching up to the high area of my thighs. I was wearing very translucent, almost transparent, black stockings with suede beige ankle boots. I had embellished my clothes with gold accessories. And, as usual, my hair was free and slightly messy. You know what? Who cares what I look like. I'm a working, single mother and this is my night out!

Besides, all the attention will be on Steph, and knowing her she'll look stunning as usual. This was her night as well.

Feeling all revved up, I stepped out into the cool night air. Steph was waiting patiently with well made up eyes and tousled, curly blonde hair in the yellow cab. She gave me an approving smile before I ducked into the cab. Rachel and Bryce? I would get over him. I AM over him. It's been six years. He was my first love; he's an ex, that's all he is. A past. This is now.

****************

Okay. So maybe I'm NOT over Bryce. Maybe I'm a LITTLE jealous of Rachel. Maybe six years wasn't enough. Maybe the past IS now. How did I come to this amazing conclusion? How come I'm now sitting next to a laughing Steph with a forced and polite smile plastered onto my face as I death stare Rachel?

Well, Steph and I arrived to the club. All we were going to do was mingle, get revved up for the wedding, drink and dance. Her college and work friends were there. We were all introduced and Rachel was running late. I tried not to judge. Then and there I felt like throwing up - sorry, I STILL feel like throwing up. All over her gorgeous, patent, black Louboutins of course. What twenty-three-year-old has that much money to buy hot shoes like that anyway? So, after staring at the club's door for about ten minutes I see him.

He looked different, and a little unrecognisable in the club lights but I know it's him. His hair is much darker, a little more on the brown side but still with a small tinge of red. He's smiling at no one in particular and his shallow but visible dimples are clear to my eyes. His eyes are still that beautiful, special, electric blue. His hair was shorter, cropped and he had a slight stubble, but I knew it was him. I could tell from his black shirt printed with 'NO HERO' to his scuffed white sneakers that it was him. Definitely him.

And he looked achingly hot. He looked blissfully happy. It made me reminisce for a short second, how happy I remembered he looked when we were together, but that second was long enough for tears to threaten to ruin my smoky eyes. It made me feel guilty all over again and VERY queasy and nervous. I swallowed and smiled though. I wasn't going to let it get me down. I wasn't going to let him see that I may still possibly like him. Possibly because he's the first and last guy I've loved and when Harriette's screaming at night I just can't help thinking of him.