The Mute Mistress: Chapter 8

*This chapter contains sensitive content*

Chapter 8

The following afternoon, Mary rolled the small cart of water and finger snacks from the living room bar. She tried, without success, to remove the recent memory of dancing with Nathan in the boutique. She was restless the night before, unable to forget his hands in hers. The fabric of the dress was thin enough to leave her with the imprint of his warm hand on her lower back. The laughter resting in his throat, and the bright smile across his lips and in his eyes. It was a dream while she was awake.

A barking cough before an extended snort pulled her from another replay. Chaz slouched in the sectional before he gave Mary a double-take. She fought against her initial instincts and returned a half-smile as she approached him to offer a drink.

Chaz turned down her offer and returned to the TV to complain. "Are those assholes still protesting?"

"It's another teacher's strike," Nathan corrected.

Chaz scoffed, "About wages, but they're in the fucking streets instead of going to work. Makes sense."

"Well, what would you do if you didn't–"

"Nathan," Karina snapped her fingers. "The ceremony. Please concentrate."

Nathan sucked in through his teeth and closed his eyes. "I'm already attending that gala. I don't want to go to this too."

"This is for me. You promised you would come," Karina pointed. "I showed up at your bullshit entrepreneur party and played the part."

Nathan grumbled, "I have little interest in going to events where everyone is high out of their minds."

"Drugs are a deal-breaker now?" Karina mocked. "What the fuck do you call alcohol then, Nathan? Hmm?"

Mary carefully tilted into their view with a gentle wave before Nathan could reply with the heated breaths livening his chest. After capturing their attention, she gestured for a drink.

Karina briefly looked over to the cart and answered, "Water with cucumber."

Mary pointed to the snacks, and Karina smirked, "Sweetie, I can't eat any of that before events Nathan suddenly doesn't want to take me to, though he said he would."

Karina's last remarks finished with finger jabs into Nathan's shoulder. Mary gave him a double-take on her way back to the cart. His face was stone cold and back on the TV while she prepared Karina's water.

"Just put it down there." Karina sighed, looking at the glass stand beside the couch.

The social media queen carried an edge to her, but most people could be extra cranky without food. Attempting to attract Karina's attention again, Mary received piercing green eyes darkened by enlarged pupils. When she finally replied, she sharpened her voice, "I want nothing right now, except the water, okay?"

Nathan threw a flaming glare at Karina she didn't see. The anger contouring his face sparked Mary to move on quickly and regard him for his drink order.

His face softened at her. "I'll get it myself."

"What?" Karina asked, pulling from the tablet.

"Mary asked me a question," he snipped before standing.

Mary turned her back to his friends and asked, "Are you okay?"

Nathan grabbed two glasses and the pitcher, he whispered, "Not really."

Mary wrinkled her nose before looking underneath the cart and pointing to a bag of popcorn kernels. She rolled her lips in and signed it with the dance. Nathan dropped his face to hide his toothy smile. There it was–the warmth in his eyes.