Something had to happen to her to make her such a witch. Maybe my mother did something or even my grandparents but at this point who cared. She wasn't going to tell me and there was no point in trying to talk to her since she didn't care for me at all.

I wait for the doctor to come back in since I could feel the pain medication wearing off, but he never appeared. I felt dizzy and now nauseuos as well, hoping I didn't have to puke I twist my body over and lean my head off to the side just in case.

Hearing the door open, I automatically close my eyes, thinking my aunt forgot something or just wanted to kill me right then and there. But I felt two strong hands pull me up and sit me back onto the pillows. I try to get a peak but I ended up squinting and giving myself away, cause when I could see who was there my eyes immediately flew open.

"Wha wha what are you doing here?" I manage to say as Gale White smiles at me.

He hands me a glass of water, and watches me drink it, as if waiting for me to finish I gulp down the last of it to fast and throw myself into a fit of coughs.

"Whoa whoa whoa. Not so fast Alice. You have to take it slow, or those stiches are going to open up and you'll bleed out." he says as he looks at me.

I give him a startled look and he laughs. Sitting the cup to the side he adjusts my blanket and my pillows and then just stares at me.

Finding the words to talk to him was complicated. He was one of those mysterious guys that always kept to themselves, but you would see them helping an old woman across the street. So I couldn't find anything to say. Everytime I looked at him in town, I could only feel sadness. Not cause he had to work at the bar but because his whole family was slaughtered by a mob king legend, and he managed to save his brother and escape.

No one knew the full story since he didn't talk to anyone but the mayor watched it on the news and ended up telling his wife. Which was a big mistake since she told everyone in town that same day, and had people telling the mayor that Gale and his brother should be banned. That they would bring the mob to our little town and kill all of us.

When Mr. Pop's heard about this he was enraged, telling people they were heartless and that they should be banned. That these two boys had no one left and they were orphans.

He ended up going to see the mayor and told him that if he banned the boys that him and his wife would pack up and leave too. Which meant no more pecan delight, which was the mayor's favorite. So the mayor ended up giving in and sold the boys the house farthest from all the other ones. And Mr. Pop's put in a good word with Mrs. Caly, the owner of the bar, and she gave him a job.

"Alice!" I hear as I see Gale snapping his fingers at me. "Snap out of it! You look like your thinking too hard and that's not a good look for you." he says and grins.

"Shut up!" I snap back. "What are you doing here?" I ask. "I didn't invite you, and I'm pretty sure your not a relative so what do you want?"

"Hey now, is that the way you treat someone who saved your life?" he says, laying back in his chair and putting his hands behind his head.

He saved my life? I tried to remember everything that happened today, and feeling the rock hit my head. And then seeing his face float in front of me as I was laid down on the surgery table. So he brought me here, carried me if I remembered correctly.

I look at him and notice he's smiling at me. Not a mischevious one, but one that was kind. And I notice he has dimples, pearly white teeth and that he was pretty tan. His blue eyes did him justice and his dark blonde hair paired well with his eyes. He was built very big, and I could see his muscles ripple everytime he took in a breathe.

"Thank you for saving me." I say as I emphasize the saving part with sarcasm. "I'm doing ok now, and I get to leave in the morning. So if you were just checking on me, you can leave now."

I look at him and he moves his arms in front of him and stands up. Walks towards me and sticks his face into mine. He smelt like vodka and bubblegum, which the alcohol I knew since my uncle would drink it every once in a while and then walk into my aunt's room and she would shut the door. Then I would smell it on him the next day for his bath.

"I want a kiss on the cheek if you really are thankful for me saving your life." He points to his cheek after mocking me from the way I said "saving."

I look at him startled and see his eyes dancing in the light. He thought this was funny? Probably laughing inside and thinking I was a wimp. A little girl who was scared shitless over a guy like him.

I lift both my hands and set each of them on either side of his face. I stare into his eyes and notice they became a bit glossy and he seemed like he was surprised.

I tilt my head to the side and land a gentle soft kiss to his pink lips.

I pull back and notice his eyes were still closed so I tapped him on the face. "Now since that's over, get lost."

He opened his eyes, smiled and walked to the door. He pauses and looks at me just long enough to say, "That was everything I imagined when I thought about kissing you. See you around Alice."

And with that he was gone.

END OF CHAPTER III