Chapter 3

It took Hanna a good ten minutes to push the awkward back inside me. My conversation with Anders was running on a loop and I just wanted to hide under a rock. The cringe was too real and I couldn't handle it. Hanna kept me by her side for the rest of the night helping me navigate through the small talk until finally, I just had to get some time alone and went back into the house. Every now and then Anders would look my way with a smile. I usually smiled back dropping my gaze immediately. Yeah, the awkward was here to stay.

Eventually, by dinner time, all of the guests were gone and Hanna and I spent the evening cleaning up the mess. It distracted me from recalling all my bad conversations of the day. But, the moment I lied down, they came rushing back attacking me from all sides. I pulled my pillow over my face sighing so heavily I thought my lungs would never be able to take in air again. I'd probably made such a terrible impression on all of them.

In the morning, the shame from the night before had dulled in my chest and all I wanted was to vegetate on the sofa until I had the energy to try at life again. However, Hanna was not having it. By seven in the morning she was at my door inviting me out to a run with her. Oh come on, I didn't know I was going to have to work out too. Hanna dragged me out of the bed tossing jogging pants and a t-shirt at me. The second I laced up my shoes, she pulled me downstairs calling to her dad that we'd be back later.

We stretched for a couple of minutes then started down the tree-lined streets. Other neighbors were going on their run with headphones plugged into their ears. They all jogged by not offering a hello or even a smile. I guess not everyone was friendly here. I managed to keep up with Hanna, only having to stop a couple of times to catch my breath before it left me completely. When we finished our jog back, Hanna ordered me up to the shower because we were going out for breakfast. Okay, that I could definitely do.

The dull ache in my chest had gone away thankfully, and I was feeling a little braver again. I changed into a summer dress after my shower and clipped my hair in a loose bun. As I walked down the staircase, I heard the voices of two young men. My heart jumped right off a cliff when I reached the bottom stair and found both Anders and Viktor standing with Hanna.

"The boys have invited us to breakfast." Hanna explained.

"Great, I'm starving." I replied, pushing past the sudden anxiety building in my chest.

"Now, normally Swedes don't go out for breakfast, but we want you to have a good time." Viktor said.

"Will people look at us funny?"

"Probably." Anders chuckled.

"Kinda used to it, let's go." I said.

My aunt Yoli wished us a good time and closed the door behind us. Since Viktor was driving, Hanna was of course shotgun, so that meant I was stuck in the back with Anders. My heart has taken residency in my throat, reminding me of how awkward our conversation had been the day before. We briefly asked each other how we were and left it at that until Viktor stopped in front of a busy restaurant.

"I thought Swedes normally don't go out for breakfast." I said.

"We don't, these are all tourists." Hanna replied.

I spotted an American family having breakfast together, taking cheesy photos and overall looking happy. It seemed to ease the knots in my stomach knowing that my fellow countrymen were enjoying a nice breakfast in Sweden too. A hostess showed us to our seats and handed over menus. Oh look, words I can't read. Anders glanced at me, knowing I was just staring at the pictures at the moment.

"If you need help, let me know." He offered.

"I desperately need help." I said, adding a small chuckle.