Chapter 3: Ride Rentals for the Questee on the Go

Gorth started walking in the direction of the Hogslick Inn stables.

"This way," I said, walking in the opposite direction.

"But won't we need horses? I have an extra steed if you should need it." Gorth said, already forgetting to follow me no matter what.

"First of all, remember, I'm the keeper. If I say we go this way, then this way we go," I said. And second of all, horses are finicky, untrustworthy, skittish, particular, and tire and dehydrate easily. Not great for long distances. We need something a little more durable, and for that we have to go to a fantastic beasts rental business." I kept walking, putting my hood up, it had started raining again.

"Alright then," said Gorth as he fell in stride behind me, his shorter legs doing a better job of keeping up than I would have thought. We walked outside of the town and came to a small farm. A cotton banner strung across two great oak trees had bright red words painted across the front: "Tripty's Travel Rentals: Beasts of Burden and Fancy."

It was time to say hello to one of my oldest and dearest friends

It was time to say hello to one of my oldest and dearest friends. Tripty's serviced Fretherton and the Rocktips, and the Alesnee Clan had been loyal customers since Tripty's first opened 15 years ago. I remember riding my first pegasus, the wings nearly knocking me off as I had stupidly tried to straddle the steed like a regular horse.

We walked under the banner and up the gravel path to Tripty's office, a large wooden hut. Tripty must have seen us coming because his large, hulking shape came out of the hut and down the walk.

"Dephrane, how are you?" A large oaf waddled toward us. He was huge in girth and height. I felt Gorth tense slightly. Some people weren't comfortable with trolls, but trolls in the Rocktips were fantastic with animals. Some stories painted them as cannibalistic, smelly nightmares. That's why it is important to know your friends and know your foes and to just ignore the old fairytales.

Rule number 29: Trolls were gentle, friendly and most importantly accepted payment in credit.

"I'm well Tripty," I said, my head barely at his middle. "This is Gorth, my new quest client. We need a sturdy ride, you know for the usual." I said shaking Tripty's gigantic scaly hand.