Chapter 12

It had been a week since Matt and I kissed. A lot had changed for me and it seemed like so little to him. I don't know why but this upset me a little.

Every time I hung out with Matt, I felt so nervous. I had butterflies in my stomach. I felt like I couldn't mess up. I felt so carefree and just happy. I felt so special.
And as for Matt, Matt didn't change of how he acted around me. He was chill and its like the kiss never happened. I learned to not care anymore, so I decided to calm down about it.

I had to invite Tucker over for a project. Tucker was in my science class. He was one of those kind of known kids. He never tried to hard. He was fun to hang around.
Speaking of Tucker, the bell rang and it was him. I let him in.

"Hey." He smiled. "Hi. Let's get started." I smiled. We began setting everything up in the kitchen. "So how was your weekend?" He said, being polite. I instantly thought about Matt. "Um a memorable one." I awkwardly chuckled. "Yourself?" I finished. "Good." He smiled.

As time passed, we started our project finally. We began doing the trials as we took turns recording and observing. "Um what should I round this up to?"He asked, pushing the calculator towards me. "Um, I would say-" My sentence was interrupted by the door bell. "Hold on." I said walking over to the door. Tucker followed me to see who it was as well.

It was Matt. "Hey Zoe-" He stopped talking once he saw Tucker. "Oh sorry, was I intruding or." He trailed off. I could see he wasn't very happy seeing Tucker here. "Um well we-" I started to explain. "I'll just come back another time. I wouldn't want to disturb you two. Bye." He cut me off.

He began walking home. It looked as if it was going to rain. "Matt." I yelled. His dad had left and I couldn't let him walk in the rain. "Hey Zoe, I got all the results. I'll type up the report and mail to you to edit it. I've got to go, bye." He waved, getting into his car. "Um yeah bye." I slightly smiled. Matt got on his long board and was far ahead of me.

I shut the door behind me, locking it. I began jogging after Matt. "Matt!" I yelled. He didn't hear me. After running for a while, I began to walk. It began to thunder. Shit. The sky darkened. I was closer to Matt's house than mine. It was pointless to turn back. I began to run again.

I felt tiny droplets fall from the sky. They sat on my bare skin and slid through my hair. And within minutes it began to pour. Thunder clashed and lightning illuminated the sky. My clothes were sticking to my body. I kept wiping my face. My make up was smearing,which I could careless of at this point.

I made it to Matt's house, shivering. I rang the bell. Shit, I hope someone's home. No one came. I rang the bell once more. I turned around. No one was home. How the hell was I supposed to get home? I felt a hand pull me inside the house. It was Matt.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" He scolded me almost. "I-I." My mouth chattered. I was freezing my ass off. I took off my shoes as his mom came into see what was going on. "Oh my Lord, what on earth." She covered her mouth. She quickly went to grab a towel and then wrapped it around me. "Matt, let her use the guest bathroom to shower." She said.

Matt lead me upstairs and into the guest room. "What were you thinking Zoe?" He said with concern. He turned on the shower, letting it heat up. He got out a fresh dry towel and set it out for me. He went to his room, grabbing a pair of his clothes that I could change into. "We'll talk later." He smiled, leaving the room.

I locked the door and immediately stripped off my clothes. I got into the hot shower. It felt good. I stood there for a while after washing up. A good 30 minutes went by and I decided that I should get out. I got the towel, wrapping it around me. My undergarments had dried so I had to wear those.

I picked up the clothes Matt gave to me. I giggled a little to myself. He had given me a crew neck sweatshirt and a pair of sweats. I dried my hair with the towel and left it down to air dry. I unlocked the door, with my wet clothes and towel in my hand.

I put it in my wash and began to search for Matt. I found him in his room, watching TV. He was leaning against the headboard of his bed. I was sniffling from being in the rain. He looked up at me. He scooted over, patting a seat next to him.

I walked over to him as he started laughing. "What?" I said, slightly feeling embarrassed. "You, well you look really cute in my sweats." He scratched the back of his neck. "Oh." I simply said. I wasn't good at responding or taking compliments. Mainly because I hardly got them.

I sat beside him. He put on Modern Family. We both were laughing half way through the episode. But then he did something. Something different. He placed his head on my thighs and faced his head up. He looked at me laugh at the TV and make silly remarks.

I began to brush my fingers through his hair that wasn't in a quiff anymore. His hair was soft. He just smiled at me. "You are different." He took my other hand and played with my fingers. "You don't use me for my popularity." He finished. I stopped brushing through his hair.

I looked down and sighed. Memories of my previous crush flooded back. He was similar to Matt, but Matt was something great. Matt noticed something was wrong. "Are you alright Zoe?" He furrowed his eyebrows. "Erm Yeah." I avoided eye contact. "What happened?" He held my hand tightly, as if I was going to leave.

"I have always been the girl who is shy. She is quiet, reserved. She doesn't talk much to others. She isn't crazy and ready to try new things. And I thought it was a good thing. But its not Matt. I learned it wasn't at a very young age. I was bullied. People took advantage of me. As I got older I thought things got better. I met someone. I surely couldn't ever forget him. He made me happy. He gave me a reason to smile. But then popularity took over him. He changed. He is a bad person. He wasn't the boy I almost fell in love with. And it went down hill. Something was wrong with me. In middle school, I considered myself a bad different. I became so insecure. I cried myself to sleep every night. I had suicidal thoughts. I harmed myself. And once I got the opportunity to start over by moving here, I was nervous. I didn't think my life would be this great. I love my life and I am so scared for it to go back to the worse." That's all I could get out. Don't cry in front of him. You are stronger than that. Don't do it. Tears filled to the rim of my eyes.

He sat up, wiping them. "I promise you, that I will never let your life become hell again. And I will always keep this promise." He said. I weakly smiled. "Zoe, I care so much about you. I see you everyday because I see how happy you become. I like seeing you happy and I will make sure you always are." He kissed my forehead.

His mom came in. "Zoe, its storming tonight. I phoned your mom and she said to stay here. School is canceled." Matt yelled "Yes!" His mom rolled her eyes and said"Dinner will be ready in 20." She then left. "We are going to stay up all night." He looked at me, like an excited 6 year old. This was going to be a long night.

------------------------------------------

Um so this was a little emotional idk. The next chapters will be more fun and exciting.

Thank you so much for 14k reads and 600 votes. You guys are literally the best.

Leave me some comments and your thoughts. I cried a little while writing this.
I love you all. Thank you. XX