Chapter Nineteen

Jessamine

I was the only who went to school the next morning.
Like, not even Charlotte went.
Tessa was going to go, but Will woke up in the middle of the night screaming from a nightmare, so she said she needed to be here for him.
Cecily... well, she was in one of her moods. There was no use even trying with her.
I was a people person. Drama and romance were my distraction from Jem's death.
I hadn't been expecting it, and it hurt to know he wasn't here any longer. It made me want to cry and scream.
My rule has always been express your mood through fashion. So, I decided to express grief. Black skirt, black boots, gray tank top, black leather jacket. I put my hair in a loose twisted pull through braid. A simple chain necklace and chain bracelet for jewelry. I did my makeup darker than usual.
I gave Charlotte a hug before I left. She was in her room, speaking with Henry. Cecily was upstairs. Will and Tessa were in Will's room.
I headed out the door, grabbing my bright pink tote bag on the way. I got in my car and drove to the school. We usually took Will's car.
We were all sixteen. Will was the eldest, being a month older than Jem, who was three months older than Cecily. Cecily was only a month older than me.
I got out of my car when I arrived at the school. Jace Herondale, Will's cousin, ran up to me. He was one of the few people who knew of the adoption.
"Jessamine, hey. Are Tessa and Will okay?" He asked.
"Physically?"
"Yes."
"They're okay."
"What about emotionally?"
I stared back at him.
"Mind your own business, Jace," I whispered. I sashayed off.
I was very popular. Some people were even scared of me. They feared having their heart broken by me, or were frightened of what I would do to them if they angered me.
Today I was not in a good mood.
I sat down next to my friend Camille. "What's with the dark outfit?" She asked. "Is something wrong? You usually wear brighter colors."
Camille was wearing skinny jeans and a tight black tank top with her own leather jacket. Black boots were on her feet.
"Jem died." I said it like it was nothing.
Do not show pain. Even if they're your friend. Pain is a weapon that can be used against you.
Camille laughed. "You're sad about that? He was going to go eventually. Will better not be crying like a five year old. That kid needs to man up."
I forced a smile.
Don't talk about my brothers that way.
I didn't protest. I had a reputation to keep.
I saw Sebastian approaching me. "Jessamine," He said. "About the other day... when you said you were going to throw me away a week or so later... I'm sorry, but if you're going to treat me that way, we can't be-"
I cut him off by putting a finger to his lips. "Shhh..." I whispered. I pressed my lips to his briefly. He froze. Then, I pulled away.
"We can be together, Sebastian. Now, go, run off to your sister."
He looked at me, then turned and walked off.
I sat down and laughed. "Camille, I'm kind of attracted to Julian Blackthorn. Should I go for him?"
Cheating was one thing the two of us didn't care about.
"He's in love with Emma Carstairs. It's all over his face."
I shrugged. "I'll get him."
Isabelle Lightwood walked up to us. "Hey. Have you seen Will anywhere?" She asked.
"No," I said. "Why?"
"There's a party tonight at my house. Alec's not too happy about it. I wanted to invite Will. He's always been nice to me," She said. She hesitated before saying, "You're invited, too. Everyone is."
"Will isn't here today, but I can get him to come," I said. "Trust me, Izzy."
"Okay," She said, but I could tell she didn't.
Isabelle was walking off, when she turned to look us in the eye. "No alcohol this time," She said firmly. She walked over to Simon Lewis.
Camille laughed. "I'm bringing alcohol. I don't care if she wants me to or not."
"She doesn't like us," I remarked.
"It's obvious," Camille laughed.
Drinking would get my mind off Jem. It didn't matter if I was underage. I had a fake ID that Charlotte nor Henry knew about.
I could be good, yes, but I could also be a naughty, naughty girl.