Chapter 5

"Now, Ms. Danni-," Kailua paused not saying Everdeen and revealing who I truly was, he acted as if he checked his list too look for my last name, "Jones." Such a cool sounding name... Thanks Kailua. "You will be taking our next test. It's an archery test." The words rolled off his lips as if he was warning me. I looked at him, swallowed by his blue eyes, I slightly shook his head "no" barely enough for me to even see.

I was handed a bow and arrow as the simulation began, creatures flew around me everywhere. I shot one, two, three within the blink of the eye. After shooting ten simulation creatures a buzzer rang and Kailua stepped in, "What the hell are you doing? I deliberately said no for a reason Everdeen!" I looked into his eyes, I feel a little angry now, "I shot the bow like I was suppose to."

"You risked your life!"

"And? Why do you care?"

"That's none of your concern. "

"Well sorry to break it too you but yes, it is of my concern and I demand to know now or I'll, I'll-"

"Fine! I want you back in here at 11 tonight. Do you understand?" I nodded and brushed passed him walking out of the simulation. Kailua's voice boomed behind me, "That will be all for the first round." His eyes landed on mine, but I quickly turned away.

Harry and I sat in the Free Room alone, no one else came. "So Kailua knows about who you are?"

"That's what it sounds like."

"I thought you didn't go by Everdeen?"

"I don't."

"This sounds weir-." A boy walked into the room, he had blonde hair that was turning brown. He sat close to me and Harry. "Hi," he said in a accent I didn't recognize," the name is Niall. I'm here to record what really goes on inside of here to try and help you all." I waved at him and Harry smiled, "I'm Danni and he's Harry."

"You're the girl who took that snobby chicks place!"

"Hah, yeah. That would be me."

"I got the whole thing on camera, including you being a beast in the archery."

"A beast?" Harry asked.

"Yeah it means cool from where I'm from."

"Where are you from?"

"Ireland. One of the last remaining sane countries."

"I've heard of that once. Why did you come here?"

"You can keep a secret right?" Niall's eyes gazed over mine and back to Harry's.

"Of course," my voice cracked slightly.

"Your parents are there Danni. I'm here to retrieve you, the boy named Austin, and you Harry."

"M-My parents?"

"Yes." I couldn't believe it. How can we escape? Cameras are everywhere in this hell.

"How do we escape?" Harry's jaw was locked and looked very firm.

"We must first find more people to join in fighting. After you go through the army week will be the best choice."

"We can already fight, Niall." Harry looked from me back to the blonde boy.

"But you need help. Trust me. This has to work." I nodded and looked to Harry. He sighed before finally agreeing. Wait, what time is it? I forgot all about my meeting with Kailua.

I raced to the cafeteria's entrance for the training room. It was 10:50 so I was a little early. As I walked in Kailua was throwing knifes in the simulation. I stood outside and watched as he easily destroyed the obstacles. I knocked on the glass door, "Hello?" The simulation stopped as he stepped outside. "Danni. You came a little early."

"Yes. What do you need Kailua?"

"Don't rush me." His voice was deep.

"Have you ever slept?" I asked gazing at his tense muscles.

"Sleep is for the weak, Danni."

"I must be very vulnerable then."

"That's not what I meant." Kailua's eyes pierced through me.

"Then what is it that you do mean?" I turned and prepared myself to walk away. I felt Kailua's strong grasp.

"You need to listen to me. You might not know it, Danni, but I am your ticket for survival."

"GET AWAY!" I yelled as I sprinted as fast as I could away. I knew I wouldn't last long when I felt Kailua's fingers nearly grasp my arm. I slipped on something wet sending my body hurling across the floor. I picked up my body on my arms as Kailua came to help me up.

"Listen to me! You need to stay within my distance. You're not safe here Danni. Please, promise me you'll be extremely careful. No more showing who you are. Act normal, okay?"

"O-Okay."

I thought of mine and Kailua's conversation. Harry sat with his fingers intertwined with my own as I glared into the distance. "A-Are you sure you're okay, love?" Austin's voice rang through my ears bringing me back to reality. I didn't want to answer because I knew my voice would give away my true state, I simply nodded.

"Good morning everyone. Let's begin day two," Kailua's loud voice seemed to silence everyone in cafeteria. His eyes landed on my own causing me to stiffen, "our first test... Strength."