Eight: Barbeque with a Side of Sex? (Edited)

Barbeque with a Side of Sex?

Adult themes in this chapter, reader discretion are advised.

-

It had been about a week since that night with Evita, and to my surprise, it had only taken her a day to send me a text message. The entire week we had been texting each other non-stop, to the point where Juno and Piper and been under the assumption that we both had been dating, which was not the case. Evita brought a company to her that helped with my loneliness some nights. It had actually been loneliness I wasn't even aware that I had. Sitting at the counter of my kitchen island, I read the text message that Evita had sent me, telling me that she would be bringing some drinks to the barbeque - that my mom had decided to throw as a farewell of leaving my house and moving back into their home, which I had been grateful for. 

"Who has you so smitten?" My mom's voice rang through the air, pulling my attention away from my phone. I looked at her to see that she had been wearing her swimsuit and had a large platter of raw meats, ranging from chicken, beef, pork, and sausages - separated by a barrier nonetheless. 

"I wouldn't say smitten, but a woman I met at the club last week with Juno and Piper," The reply had been casual, which caused my mom to set the platter down and place her hand on her hip in the mother fashion that she did when she knew I had juicy details. A sly smile tugged at her pink lips as her blue eyes had locked with mine. She made a step towards me, which caused me to shove my phone into the pocket of my shorts quickly. She narrowed her eyes at me before a heavy sigh escaped her lips.

"I thought you were going to pursue a relationship with Athena,"

"Mother, we've been over this. I'm not dating my sister, regardless of that 'lack of blood relations' bullshit you keep spewing. It's not appropriate, and I would appreciate it if you stopped pushing this," She stared at me, her eyes flickering towards the entrance of the kitchen, before returning to me. 

"But, honey, she'd be so heartbroken," 

"I don't care, Billie," I started, calling my mom by her name, "The world doesn't work like this. The world doesn't care for her feelings, and I don't care for them like that either. She needs to grow up and realize that the world doesn't revolve around our family or whatever the hell she thinks it does. I actually might like this person I'm talking to, and I would like a genuine chance to date her and not have to worry about whatever Luther bullshit you all are so entitled to throw at me," She had been silent and stared hard at me. Her blue eyes had never left mine as she gave out a sigh, picked up the platter of meat, and made her way towards the kitchen entrance. I followed after her with my eyes to see that Athena had been standing at the doorway the entire time, causing me to roll my eyes from this. 

Of course, she had to hear everything I said. Giving out a frustrated groan, I rested my head on the counter and sucked in a large amount of air before holding my breath. Sometimes it felt as though I was drowning in this family. I could never breathe when they were around, and now I had to deal with all of these emotions. Why couldn't I have been adopted by a different family? Releasing the air from my lungs, I reached into my pocket to grab my ringing phone and answered it without looking at the caller ID.

"This is Luther," 

"Oh, you sound so formal when you answer the phone," I jumped from the sound of Evita's voice and found that it seemed all of my trouble had gone away. Standing up from my seat, I made my way towards the front door. When I opened the door, I had been expecting to see her standing there, but to my surprise she hadn't been there, causing a look of confusion to fill my features.

"It's a habit I've picked up on. Are you having trouble finding the house?" I asked, stepping out of the house and looking for her car, but I couldn't find it. The confusion only growing in me as I closed my front door and started to make my way down the driveway. My eyes searched over the cars that had been parked, but they all belonged to someone who was already there.