Reality vs Unreality

But what is Hope? Nothing but the paint on the face of Existence; the least touch of truth rubs it off, and then we see what a hollow-cheeked harlot we have got hold of. - Lord Byron

She was walking on puffy clouds on a corridor lined with mirrors. As usual her reflection walked alongside on the puffy cloud way that led up to a brilliant blood red curtain. But whereas she was clothed in her over patched hand me downs, her reflection was clothed in a beautiful silver gown that emphasized the silver flecks in her sapphire blue eyes.
Her uncertain steps were matched with calculated determined steps on the part of her reflection. They were quite the same, yet peculiarly different. Perhaps a reflection of her innermost soul? Her thoughts ceased as she stood before the curtains. She reached out to push the curtain open, instinctively raising her other hand to shield her eyes from the blinding light that raced towards her causing a jolt of pain to burst through her skull.

She snapped her eyes close and slowly opened it feeling the dull ache at the back of her head. Background noises seeped through her fogged mind and she heard a distant angry voice that knocked her from her daydream.

What had she been thinking?? she was barely done pressing the dark gray suit on the board before her, she thought as she hurriedly got back to work.
She heard his voice again and this time it was accompanied by the angry thumping sounds of a very annoyed step father making his way down the staircase.

'Rhowette, where is my suit? I have been calling you for the past couple of minutes." Charles stated angrily as he came to a stop behind Rhowette's cowering frame.

'I will be done soon Sir,' she stated as calmly as she could muster considering the circumstances.

She had lived long enough with Charles Walden to know exactly what happened when you got him into any mood other than satisfied. Luckily she barely had scars to show and Rhowette attributed that to her mother's genes since the woman had barely borne a blister throughout the time she was alive. She quickly turned to face a scowling and barely in control Charles, 'Please should I lay out your suit on your bed, Sir?'

With barely concealed resentment and contempt, Charles snatched the suit out of her hands and whispered through clenched teeth as he stepped too close for comfort in Rhowette's direction.
'You are lucky that I do not wish to break a sweat before I leave for the event. You know exactly what happens when you do not do things right and I would hate to permanently disfigure this already despicable face.' He breathed as he harshly stroked her cheek with his fingers.

'Do not be as stupid as your whore of a mother.' He sneered as he turned to leave.
She wished she could say his breath stunk when he invaded her personal space or that his face contorted in an ugly caricature when he boiled with anger. But no, her step father was far from that. He had an air of perfection. He was too handsome for his own good and he aged pretty well too. No wonder her mother fell for him. He was charm and perfection wrapped in one. But underneath it all he was pretty ugly inside. He could as well be the devil himself.

Rhowette took a sharp intake of breath and slowly breathed out. She tried to ignore the sting in his words but her eyes were not cooperating. They seemed to have a mind of their own as they started to flood with tears. Tears that could not be held back even when she shut her eyes tightly but rather leaked through as though in desperate need of escape. Her chest heaved as she choked back the tears that trailed in beads over her pale cheek. She sniffed as her nostrils started to clog up, her throat, heavy and aching.

'Look who we have here,' someone whistled from behind, startling her, 'If it isn't little Rhow, bawling her eyes out.'

She had been so caught up in her emotions, she did not even hear him come in. Quickly wiping the tears off her face she turned with an all too sweet smile and asked with icy coldness dripping from her every word, 'and how may I serve his royal highness?'

'You already know what I want Rhow.' The blonde haired man drawled out.

If anyone could take seduction up a notch it was the devil's spawn standing right in front of her. Victor Walden, also known as step brother extraordinaire and major douche bag. He took after his father in looks but while his father was well endowed in the brain department, this blond was quite daft. He went after anything in skirts and had been hitting on Rhowette ever since their parents got married ten years prior. Being four years her senior he was very reckless and quite spoiled. The golden haired son who got everything he wanted except her. For once she could honestly thank Charles for warning his son to never attempt anything on her especially after her mother died five years ago.

'Victor, be a good boy and stay away from me. You would not want a confrontation with your father like the last time right?' Rhowette said all too sweetly.

A look of remembrance stole through Victors eyes followed by fear before he composed himself and scowled at Rhowette.

'Just get me lunch and go up for the extra laundry I forgot to bring down yesterday.'

She quickly left to do his bidding. Just because he could not assault her sexually did not stop him from being physically violent and she did not particularly enjoy his presence either.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Hello there. Thanks for taking the time to read. Please vote and comment. I would really appreciate the feedback.

<3KellaYebba