Chapter 4 - The expected phone call

We were currently in my bedroom; Sav was occupying my laptop whilst I finished off my Calculus homework. Background music was blasting in my stereo and we both were humming along while doing our tasks.

A knock rapped against my door and my mother popped in before I consented.

"Hey girls." She greeted us, holding a tray containing subs and juices.

My mother, Kelly Reynolds, was just a year younger than Teddy, my father. Although she was forty four, you could not tell because she had a body and face of someone twenty years younger. With her greyish-green eyes—which I think I somehow inherited from her—the sandy blonde locks of her curly hair, her features were enlightened. Her skin although sometimes tanned, had no traces of wrinkles whatsoever.

Her youth was both thrilling and a curse. Thrilling because it gave me hope that if she looked as young as she did while above forty then I may as well look young when I was her age someday.

It was a curse because whenever I was out with her, people either thought she was either my friend or distant cousin because despite the skin colour difference I had her features.

My mother relished their compliments and never corrected their mistakes, she went along with it every time and I will only roll my eyes all through that ordeal.

She placed the tray next to me on the bed.

"Thanks mom," I told her as I started gorging on the sandwich.

"So what are you girls up to? What's the 411? Any gossips lately?"

"Mom!" I scolded her while Sav giggled.

"What?" My mother asked seeming to be ignorant of her intruding.

"Don't you have important things to do?" I asked.

"Nope, I won't return to the hospital for a few days, so I'm just going to hang with you guys." As she said this, she slumped herself next to me on the bed. My mother was a GP doctor.

I scowled at her. "Mom, can you not!" I shouted when she drew in closer to me to see what I was doing.

She held both of her hands up," Sorry!" She said as if in mock defeat.

I only rolled my eyes and continued with my work.

"Wow you girls are boring." My mother commented after five minutes of watching us get on with our work.

Sav giggled again.

"Mom, please." I gestured for her to leave.

"Don't you guys at least have anything interesting in your lives?" She asked rhetorically.

"I mean, when I was your age, I was wild. I remember once when there was this concert playing and at that time I was grounded so I snuck out of my room. I broke an ankle that night and your grandma punished me double time when she found out. But it was so worth it because not only did I get to watch my favourite band play, but, I met your daddy that night too." She told us.

"Aww." Sav cooed as she stared expectantly at my mother.

"Yeah, well that was a hundred years ago. Things have changed from your days, kids these days are boring." I told her but inside I was silently relishing her words.

She didn't know it but I loved it whenever she told me about her days when she met my father. It was sweet really. Well, that night she snuck out, she limped to the stadium that held the concert. She bumped into Teddy, and instantly sparks flew, fireworks blasted etc. He helped her out with her ankle and they spent that concert night getting to know each other.