Wings...its time to fly or will i fall

I wake up feeling a bit dis-jointed and un-attached from myself. I can feel Damian’s naked torso up against my arm; which sends tingles through my body. I twist around trying not to disturb him; which is without avail because he is such a light sleeper.

“Hey you.” I whisper feeling my lips brush against his.

“Good morning baby.” Damian said pulling me up against him and kissing my shoulder. I could handle this a lot more often I thought to myself as he worked his kisses up to my lips.

“Damian I think we are moving a bit fast, I get that we were friends for a long time and we understand each other but this is all too fast for me I’m not use to this.” I touch his lips with the tips of my fingers “I’m just not use to it.” I whisper feeling bad when I see hurt flash in his eyes. I sit up and stretch out my muscles that are surprisingly sore; must be from sleeping in the same position all night I think to myself. I get up and start to walk toward the kitchen when the sound of Damian’s voice turns me around.

“Where are you going?” he asks sounding worried.

“Just to make us breakfast.” I say walking back over to him to kiss him on the cheek. “We need food in our system before we leave.” I say bringing up our topic from last night.

“Why are we leaving?” He asks while I pour us two bowls of a cheerio type cereal.

“You don’t have to go with me.” I say pausing to look at him from the corner of my eye. “but the reason I’m going is I don’t believe the government; if there really was nothing left beyond the forest they wouldn’t be trying so hard to hide it from everyone they would just let it be they wouldn’t build a fence to keep us here,  they would let us go mourn our lost family members.” I say chopping my banana harder then I needed to. “Don’t you remember your dad and brother and my whole family being killed by that flare because we weren’t told that our lives were about to change forever because we weren’t given enough time to evacuate. Thousands more people would be alive right now if we had had half decent people working in office that weren’t so worried about control and were  worried more about hundreds to thousands of people’s lives!” I exclaimed crying; I knew he remembered I was just letting everything out. I felt Damian’s arms wrap around me as my sob’s turned into hiccups. “Damian I can’t thank you enough for everything you have done for me there is no way for me to repay you.” I whisper into his chest.

“Kuryen the only thing you have to do to pay me back is never leave my side; if you left I would fall apart, I love you babe.” He says in a rush.

“I love you to Damian.” I say realizing it’s true I really do love him; but not in the way he thinks...I know I can’t return the feelings he has but I can pretend  for his sake. I break away from his grasp and grab his bowl of cereal and bananas. “Now we need to eat and pack; remember only pack the essential’s a few changes of cloths, a toothbrush, lots of socks, and new shoes if you have any; but that’s it we need to pack as much food as we can to.” I say making a list in my head. I hand Damian his Bowl and go sit myself down on the couch so I can eat. I can’t believe I’m finally going I think to myself. I sit for a while eating not thinking of anything trying to have some peace before we leave. I know there will be no down time once we leave; Bruce will figure out what happened to us and send out search parties, but they won’t find us. I finish my cereal and toss my bowl in the sink as I head to Damian’s room to repack my things and pack his; he is very organized so it’s easy to find everything. I toss a blanket in his bag for good measure because I really don’t know what’s out there or what I am leading us into. When I am done with Damian’s bag I turn to mine and try to pack everything in there so there is lots of room for food.

“You look really cute when you concentrate did you know that?” Damian said standing in the door way. I look up and smile at him.

“You just look sexy all the time.” I say with wink. Before I can stand up and pick up my pack Damian tackles me onto the floor. At first I am a little surprised but I soon realize it was for good reason. I see Bruce walk by the window and mouth a thank you at Damian. The last thing we need is him knowing what we are doing. We lay there a little longer then needed holding each other. Damian finally decides to get up and brush himself off and I zip up my pack and bring it into the kitchen. I pick out all the non-perishable food to pack up.

“I will be back in a little bit I have to go get something.” Damian says heading towards the door.

“Ok just be back at nightfall; that’s when we leave.” I say eyeing him. I don’t get an answer back because he is already out the door. I have nothing to do; the packs are together, I don’t have to clean the house and I have no one to talk to. I walk into Damian’s room and lay down in his bed; it smells like home, it smells like Damian. I don’t know at what point I fall asleep but I am roused when Damian is shaking my shoulder telling me its sunset.

“Ya I’m up.” I say rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

“Close your eyes I have something for you.” He says taking my hand in his. I do as he says and I feel something oddly shaped and made out of some type of metal drop into my hand. “Ok open them.” He says and I can almost see the smile on his face already. I look down and see a pair of golden wings hanging off a short chain that is also gold.

“Oh Damian you shouldn’t have they must have cost you a fortune.” I say admiring the set of wings.

“Yes but they are your wings Kuryen and you have earned them.” He pauses “It’s your time to fly.” He says kissing my forehead.

“Can you put it on?” I ask handing him the necklace.

“Of course I can.” He says moving my hair out of the way. He clasps it behind my neck and kisses my collar bone which sends a shiver through my body. The necklace settles is the hollow of my throat nicely. “Are you ready to leave, its dark out now so we can go.” Damian murmur’s  still kissing my neck.

“Ya let’s go.” I say and head to the kitchen to get our packs I hand Damian his and swing mine over my shoulder. We walk hand in hand in the shadows all the way to the fence with a content silence hanging over us.

Once we get to the fence I turn to him and just look into his eyes soaking in these last precious moments of sanity.

“What about your mother’s grave?” I ask.

“I don’t want to see it again once was enough I don’t need to go see it she’s in here.” He whispers and gestures to his heart.

“Ok let’s go then.” I say looking up at the fence reluctantly.

“You sure you’re ready to leave?” he asks eyeing my discomfort.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” I say.

“That means so am I because I follow you anywhere Kury.” He says winking at me. I blush and we both sigh as we start to scale the fence that will either lead us to a new life or to our death.