Alibi

Veronica POV - I sat in the waiting room, desperate to see Archie. None of us had any idea what was happening, not even Fred, Archie's dad, who had been sitting next to me for the past 3 hours. I had finally convinced him to go get coffees for the both of us, because he looked like he needed some air. Around 10 minutes after Mr Andrews had left, Sheriff Keller came into the room and told me I could see the boys. Giving him a dirty look as I passed him, I made my way to Archie's cell, where he had been placed. Apparently, Jughead was still in the interrogation room, because they had evidence against Archie, but not Jug. So, at this moment, Archie was a criminal. As the cell door opened, Arch stood up and wrapped his arms around me for a few seconds, before releasing me and grabbing both my hands. "I didn't do anything Ronnie, you have to believe me!" He rambled, but I quickly shushed him, assuring him that I didn't think he was guilty at all. "But they found the rock that hurt Betty in my closet. I'm being framed Ronnie!" I let go of his hands, shocked at what I was hearing. After a quick explanation of the situation, I realised how bad this was. "They'll get the results back and see it wasn't you Archie, and find out who it really is! Unless.... why would they plant it if they were going to get caught? What if that isn't the real rock at all, and they've put Betty's blood on it as a distraction? They might have even put your fingerprints on it!

Archie's POV - I listened to Veronica's plan intently, hoping that it wasn't crazy and would actually get me out of here. "We tell the Sheriff that Jughead was with Betty on July 4th. They can't confirm it, but they sure as hell can't prove it false. That will throw his whole story off balance, and it'll be enough to get you out of here, at least for now. Once they get the forensics back from that rock, they'll see that the blood wasn't from the night when Betty was taken. In the time between then and however long it takes for them to find some other wacked up 'piece of evidence' against us, we need to find out who is really guilty." She sighed at the end, knowing that this would be easier said than done. After a few seconds or processing what she had just said, I replied "That isn't a bad idea."

"It's a damn amazing idea Archiekins!" She snapped back at me, before breathing out and smiling. "I better go and speak to the sheriff. I promise I'll get you out of here Arch." Veronica spoke sincerely, and I knew she was telling the truth. As she turned to leave, a grabbed her arms and pulled her into a kiss, a soft and gentle kiss, not like our first. She drew back first, a shy smile on her face. I hadn't actually seen Ronnie act shy before. "I'll be back." She whispered in my ear, before leaving the cell.

Veronica POV - I finally got home, after telling the Sheriff about Betty and Jughead being together on the day of Jason's 'murder'. Begrudgingly, he had agreed to release them for the time being, just like we'd planned. Maybe I might get a little sleep tonight, knowing that Archie and Jughead were out of jail. That was until I saw the letter on the table. 'Veronica' was scribbled messily on the front, in a font that I recognised. Carefully, I opened it and read the note. The moment I finished reading, I pulled out my phone.

"Jughead? Betty's alive. At least she was three days ago."