eight.

DARKNESS.
008. | ❛ murderers.

"DID YOU HAVE TO RIP INTO THE GUARDS AND CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS?" TONY ASKED CAROLINE, WHO CALMLY ROLLED HER EYES STILL ANNOYED THAT THEY HAD HER AND KIARA TIED UP AND SEPARATED.

"Enough Stark."  Caroline growled, her patience quickly wavering as he ripped into her. She flexed her wrists against the tight zip ties holding her to the chair, rolling her eyes, and catching a glimpse of Steve, staring at Caroline through the glass area in the center of the room.

"Caroline, that outside wasn't you. Nor was it Kiara." Stark continues as Caroline watches Steve, his face shadowed in pain. Watching her restrained, which was a nightmare of hers, as he rips his eyes away from Caroline, drawing his gaze back to Sharon as she enters the room.

"Are you done yet?" Caroline asked calmly, her eyes flying up to Tony, burning through him as he halts his monologue, withering slightly under her gaze.

"I just don't get you, Kingsley." Stark continues, sighing as he comes to sit next to her, positioning himself like a father about to have a heart to heart with his daughter.

"You don't get women? I'm shocked. This is brand new information to me!" She spit back sardonically, rolling her eyes when a small smile pulls at his mouth.
"Tony, please. Just let me out of these zip ties, and be with Steve right now. We both know that you're better than this."

"Really, Caroline? Because I thought you were better than this." Stark scoffs leaning back in his seat as he lets out a sharp sarcastic laugh. "Defending the side of a murderer alongside your patriotic fiancée and your sister."

"He's not a murderer!" Caroline snarled, startling Stark slightly at the strength of her voice. "You want to talk about kill records, let's look at yours, New York? Sokovia? You sit here on your high horse pretending that your murder record is cleaner somehow because you're a 'hero'. We've all killed. We've all taken lives we shouldn't have. The difference is that we've had control when we pull the trigger or throw the knife, he didn't. So don't you sit there and talk to me about murderers Stark; your hands are redder than anyone's."

Stark sat back in stunned silence as her head snaps forward once again, refusing to look at him, instead her eyes focus intently on the video screens through the glass that are monitoring Bucky. Her heart hurt slightly at the empty expression in his eyes, his face numb and impassive as he waits in his restraints.

Tony sighs as he kneels down before Caroline, and tugging at her restraints. She feels a relief in her wrists and sees Tony looking at her, "Go."

He nods over in Steve's direction, and she remains emotionless while she jogs over to his side. Retreating to his arms, Caroline felt a sense of safety even if it was for a while. He made his arms outstretch her whole body that still trembled from the darkness of being in those restraints; ones that reminded her of darker times.

"Are you okay?" Steve whispered in Caroline's ear which was almost inaudible.

"For now," she responded as they departed looking at the monitor that showed Bucky, and another small one that showed Kiara being held in another room. She didn't like seeing her sister away from her; nor being held down like she was a caged animal.

Pretty soon, Tony entered the office that Steve and Caroline were in. The two sat down in seats around the glass table, and looked rather defensively at him. "Hey, you want to see something cool?"