Chapter 18 - I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL THE PARTY

March 28, 1974

May stared at John, seemingly unsure of what to believe. John was all smiles and laughs, almost giddy that he was able to finally share his secret. May then turned to Holly.

"So, if you're really from the future, why are you here?" she asked skeptically.

"It's a bit of a long story, I'm afraid. And like I said, I really can't share more information with you." Holly turned to John, "And neither can you." Her eyes pierced into John's. "She knows who I am now, okay? But that's all."

"Yeah, yeah," John dismissed. "You two talk. I need some clothes."

Holly laughed inwardly at the fact that John didn't seem bothered by his lack of shirt, socks, and shoes until now. She watched him as he slipped out of the room and up the spiral staircase.

Holly and May sat in an awkward silence for a moment before Holly spoke carefully. "Listen, I think you're good for John, at least for right now. It's obvious he's crazy for you. I know you'll manage to get him to take an interest in Julian again, and his friends as well, which is wonderful. Lord knows Yoko wants none of that."

"Did Yoko send you?" May asked.

"No, no. She sent you. Not me," Holly responded.

May gave her a quizzical look. "She may have started all of this, but I'm here because I want to be. Honestly. Yoko calls everyday. John may be broken up with her, but she still pulls the strings with him."

Holly simply nodded. She didn't need any explanations. "That doesn't matter, really. What matters is that John is happy, right?"

May nodded.

"Okay, then here's what else matters." Holly leaned forward towards May. "You absolutely cannot talk about me. You can't talk about what John and I just told you. Not to anyone and not under any circumstances. Do you understand?"

May nodded again, a concerned look on her face.

"I'm not a mean person, and I really do like you, May. But you weren't supposed to know about me. The last time I saw John things went a bit... crazy. I don't need things going crazy this time. John trusts me, and he apparently trusts you too. Don't. Betray. That trust." Holly's eyes were unwavering as she stared at May sternly.

May shook her head, "I won't."

When John returned from upstairs the trio walked out to the backyard where a large in-ground pool glistened in the sunlight. The ocean sat in the background, framing the scene in a beautiful beachy backdrop. Across the pool a male figure lay on a lounge chair, face covered with large sunglasses. A female in a bikini was on the chair next to him.

"That's Klaus," John said to Holly. "And his girlfriend."

"What about Ringo?" she asked. "He lives here too, right?"

Holly had no idea if Ringo would remember her or not. Her last interaction with him had been during the recording of Please Please Me, and then the Cavern show the next night.

"Yeah, but the bastard barely wakes up before the sun goes down. He's worse than me," John said with a grin.

"I'm going to go find us something to snack on," May announced. "I'll see if Armando is still here to make us all something."

With May gone, Holly leaned in to John. "Okay, look. I gave in to the May thing. You have to keep her quiet about me."

"Don't worry, she's no narc," John responded. "'Sides, she loves me. Why else would she put up with my shite?"