"Nothing could have helped my mother. Not when she married a psychotic wanker."

      Bellatrix laughed, her cackle so loud Nova felt it reverberate around the walls. "Your mother used to call him that, too. You two are so alike. I see it more now that you've grown. Goodie goodie, Elizabeth Nott." Bellatrix's smile died down on her face and her expression turned so dark and cold that Nova shivered. "You'll die in the same way." Bellatrix raised her wand in a lightning fast movement, but Nova was already ready. She sent a knockback jinx over at her godmother and watched her body fling to the side. 

      "Go!" Lupin shouted, nodding towards where Harry was struggling to help Neville up. Nova's heart stilled in her chest, hoping Neville was alright. "Go help them, Nova!"

      Nova got to them as soon as Neville collapsed to the ground, the weight of another Death Eater crashing into them too much to bear. "Nova!" Harry shouted. "Catch the Prophecy!" The orb flew through the air and sailed into Nova's waiting arms. She made sure to keep it tucked closely to her body. Nova surveyed around her. Lupin was now fighting Lucius Malfoy, who Harry had sent flying to the dais where the archway stood. Sirius Black and Nova's godmother were dueling, cousin against cousin. Mad-Eye Moody was lying on the floor, bleeding from his head. Nova could still see his chest moving up and down with breath. Two people Nova didn't know were fighting another Death Eater, and Nova watched as a woman's hair turned bright red with anger as someone tried to fire a curse at Lupin. The woman quickly repelled the spell and charged towards the Death Eater with a newfound purpose. 

      Rockwood, who had previously been fighting Kingsley Shacklebolt, started marching towards Nova, eyes greedily locked on the prophecy in her hands. "Neville! Catch!" she shouted, tossing it in Neville's direction. He shoved it in his pocket when he caught it. Nova turned around to face Rockwood and glared. "Colloshoo!" Nova shouted, watching as Rockwood's feet stuck to the floor. He didn't let it deter him, swinging out his arm. His fist clipped Nova's lip, sending her head flying to the side. She tasted the blood but didn't feel the sting. And then, just as she raised her wand to send him flying backwards, she saw Albus Dumbledore running down the steps. Rockwood swore under his breath and tried to move his legs, but Nova was rushing to Harry and Neville before she could even register Rockwood's movement. 

      And then, her eyes drifted over to her godmother, still fighting with Sirius Black and unaware that Dumbledore was in the room. "Come on, you can do better than that!" Sirius taunted, ducking from a spell Bellatrix sent his way. Nova saw the second the spell hit him in the chest, the second the laughter froze on his face, like he would spend the rest of his life laughing.

      The resemblance of his expression to Fred and George Weasley shook Nova to the core. 

      She didn't claim to know Sirius Black, but in that moment, watching him slip through the veil with that last little bit of laughter on his face made her heart break in two. And then she was running, the only one in the room daring to move, and wrapping her arms around the back of Harry's chest to keep him from going towards where Sirius had just fallen through. Tears stung in her eyes as she gripped onto him tightly, feeling his body rocking with sobs. "Harry," she whispered, unable to say anything more. 

      Lupin joined Nova in pulling Harry back. And when Harry crumpled against Lupin's form, Nova released, understanding that this was a moment between the two of them. She walked back to Neville, reached out her hand and gripped Neville's in her fingers. He didn't make fun of her for the touch, didn't scoff that she was supposed to be the ice princess of Slytherin. Neville just turned his hand around underneath hers so he could grip her fingers back. They watched as Lupin whispered words in Harry's ear, probably reminding him that Sirius wasn't coming back. He couldn't come back.