1

"And 2 3 4 5 6 7 8."
"No no no. Sang your too slow on the 6th count. Faster and tighter. You know this choreo. Again from the top..."

I did the count and performed the dance like I had the last 50 times because Eli thought it wasn't quite right. It was perfect. He just blew up at the smallest things. I guess he had a right since it was his studio, but still he could cut me some slack since I was one his best dancers and taught many of the younger ones. I think I'm gonna need an ice bath once this is over. Eli's shouting brought me out of my pain induced thoughts.

"YES! Now perform like that every time, and this dance will be golden."

"Can I take a break now your highness?"

He just chuckled and motioned for me to go ahead. I loved him, but sometimes he could be a real hardass.  He was the only real friend I had since leaving home. I stayed around Charleston, but I needed to stay away from the past. It only caused me emotional stress that affected my dancing. Eli's always telling me I need to use it to my advantage. Channel the emotions into the dance to connect more and make that connection with the audience. Sometimes it's hard doing that. My past is dark and when I go into that part of my mind, it's definitely not pretty. I have the faded scars as a reminder everyday that I survived, but it doesn't make it easier.

"Hey" Eli comes walking over and draws me again out of my internal conversation.
"What's up?"
"So there's a new guy starting later today or tomorrow morning. He comes highly recommended. Would you mind showing him the ropes so to speak. He can dance but he needs to know the rules and such."

I groan and just look at him.

"What? It'll be fun. A new person for you to work your magic on." He smirked.

"All I need is some new guy that thinks he's the shit just cuz he can dance. And by the way, my magic doesn't always work especially if they already dance. They have to be willing to take direction and those types generally don't. Dancing is more than just counts and moving. It's a part of who you are. It's a way to connect with your body, mind, and soul. It's a way to express your emotions without talking. Some powerful conversations can take place without ever uttering a word. You know this."

"I know I know. Just give him a chance. You never know maybe you'll make a new friend. I hear he's very likeable unlike someone I know." He bops my nose as he walks off.

"Yea well why don't you teach him then huh?" I yell across the studio.

"He requested you."

Well shit.