Chapter 51~ Fight For...

Hope you enjoy! Thanks so much for all the love on the last. 🤗❤️ You all were so understanding, I got this for you early.

Chapter 51

"Jessie, you mind helping me over here a second?" Zeke held up one of the tent poles and motioned with his head to the half erected tarp below it.

I rushed over and grabbed the other end.

"Just hold that one so it doesn't come undone."

I did as asked until he secured it. He smiled. "Thanks. This one is old and likes to give me shit." His eyes drifted to the clear water, and he breathed in deep through his nose. "It's been a while since I've been out here." He looked at me. "It's nice."

"It is." I chewed my lip. I'd been burning to ask him about Officer Jones since the man had come out, but until then there'd always been too many people around to bring it up. "Officer Jones came."

He hummed. "Yeah. I knew he was."

I stared at him, hoping he'd elaborate, but he didn't. "How am I not in jail?"

"Why? Did you want to go to jail?" His lips twisted.

"Oh, you know it. Why wouldn't I?" I rolled my eyes. "What I mean is, why? He said he owed you a favor."

Zeke sat down beside the tent, propped his elbows onto his knees, then cut a look up at me. "Yeah, well, that one's a doozy."

He motioned for me to join him, and I did. We both sat and watched as Boe and Parker threw Lexy into the water. The sound of her screech, their laughter. Until Boe's eyes caught mine, and I saw the question there.

I'm an asshole.

I looked away.

Zeke's expression was warm. "There was a riot." He tilted his head over at me, and his smile faded. "He was at the worst place at a worst possible time, and I helped him out of it."

"When you were locked up?" That was suicide. You didn't get involved, especially to help one of the people responsible for putting and keeping inmates inside.

He grimaced. "Yeah, it wasn't the smartest idea I ever had, but it worked out in the end." He playfully shoved my shoulder. "Lucky you."

My lips curved, and I heaved a sigh. "Yeah. Lucky me."

I let my gaze roam.

Fuck me...

Amber stood at the edge of the water in all her eloquent glory. A black bikini far too similar to the one I wore barely covered her perfect, tan skin. She shimmered like fucking gold.

I looked around for Bard, and found him by the coolers. He wasn't even looking at her, but for some reason, the thought of him catching a glimpse made me want to hurry over and cover his eyes.

I forced myself not to.

"I can't tell you how good it feels to see him again," Zeke said.

I looked over at him. "Yeah. I'm sorry I've stolen him from you all. I never meant to burden..."

Zeke waved a hand. "You're not understanding, girl. I ain't seen that boy in years. Not really." His jaw twitched, and he looked away. "I never thought I would again." He paused and clasped his hands together in front of him, then sucked in another lungful of mountain air. "You could never be a burden to me. Not before, definitely not now. I've got a feeling you're the reason he's here."

I shifted under his steady gaze. It was exactly the kind of thing I needed to hear, but my mind wouldn't allow me to accept the compliment. Because it didn't make sense. It didn't fit in with who I was or how I viewed myself. "You give me too much credit."