17. Old Memories

~Leo

I was grabbing out the boxes of cereal from the cabinet when I felt arms wrap around me. Jackson nuzzled his face into my neck as he tucked his fingers into the front of my pants.

I tensed, moving his hands away from me. "Jay, stop." Hopefully he didn't notice what I've been trying to hide.

Unfortunately, it seemed like he did. "Lee, I think your pants are getting a little small there." He smiled and reached for them again, but I backed out of his reach.

They weren't. They couldn't be. I wasn't gaining weight. I wouldn't. I promised myself and my mother I'd never do that again. I can't break that promise. 

Jackson seemed to realize what was going on in my head because the smile fell off his face. I didn't want to talk about it though. It wasn't happening, so why talk about it?

"Are the kids awake yet?" I asked before he could say anything. "They should be down here."

As if on cue, the sound of Ashley running down the stairs reached us. I returned my attention to the boxes of cereal I had grabbed and placed them both on the table with a couple bowls just as she entered.

"Where's Daddy?" Ashley asked, getting into her chair at the table.

I looked at Jackson, thankful for the distraction from what just happened, but wishing it was anything but this. Josh hadn't come home last night. I didn't have an answer for her.

"Um..." Jay started, placing a glass of orange juice in front of her. "He had to go to work early."

It was probably close to the truth. Knowing him, he was probably at work already, especially if he didn't have to help get the kids ready this morning. I just wished he'd called us or something last night to let us know he's okay. I was starting to worry.

"Daddy?"

I turned to the sound of Logan's voice in the doorway. He looked a bit pale and was holding onto his stomach. Oh no.

"What's wrong, bud?" Jay asked, bending down next to him.

Logan shook his head. "My tummy hurts."

Of all days for Josh to go MIA on us, Logan feels sick. Of course. I watched Jackson lead Logan out of the room before I pulled out my phone and dialed Josh's number.

It went straight to voicemail. "Hey, love," I said. "Please call me back. I think your son might be sick." I turned around from Ashley's curious gaze and lowered my voice. "And I'm worried about you. Please. I love you."

Hanging up, I sat down at the table with my cup of coffee, deciding to have just that instead of an actual breakfast. Ashley had returned her attention back to her cereal, thankfully. I didn't need more of her questions this morning, not when I couldn't answer them.

My phone vibrated and I answered it without even checking the caller ID. "Hello?"

"I got your message," Josh said softly. "What's wrong with Logan?"

I smiled at the sound of his voice, getting up from the table. "Stomach ache. He's with Jay. Hold on." Walking out of the room, I found Jay standing outside the bathroom. "Everything okay?" I asked Jay, keeping Josh on the line. "Josh is on the phone."

Jackson looked at me. "Looks like someone snuck a glass of milk sometime last night."

I sighed, then relayed the information to Josh. I thought Ashley was the defiant one around here, but now we had to watch Logan too? Why did he have to be difficult? Why right now, with everything else going on?