Chapter 27. The Werecoyote

Running. Why am I always running? Lately, I feel as if I have been running non-stop. Not just physically running either, I'm running from my problems. I'm running from my dad, my nightmares, and my situation. I'm running from everything and it's never ending. I'm so tired of having to run all the time.

This time though, my running is very well justified. I need to find Scott. He left Stiles and I just moments ago and I need to find him and bring him back to the coyote den that Stiles found. I am beyond grateful that I signed up for cross country this year, for if I hadn't had all of the preparation for the sport I wouldn't be able to do this with as much ease as I can now.

My heart was thudding in my chest as my feet glided over the foliage of the wooded floor. I can't ignore the dejá vu that I am feeling right now, it's too strong. I don't know if this is real or if I'm dreaming again. I stop dead in my tracks as I see what appears to be black fog creeping towards me. This can't be happening. Not now.

I let out a mangled scream as something slams against me, arms encircling my waist to keep me from tumbling to the ground. This has happened too many times for me to not pick up on the signs. This isn't real, I'm dreaming again. I'm always running, the black fog is always there, and then I'm being grabbed.

"NO! NOT AGAIN! NO!" I shrieked as I struggled in this person's hold. They can't take me, not again.

"Kasey! Calm down!" Scott hissed as he snapped me back into reality. This is real... I glanced over his shoulder to see that the black fog wasn't there, a large part of me starts to think that maybe it never was.

I let out a sigh and pressed my forehead to Scott's shoulder as the adrenaline in my system slowly left my body. The fight or flight response kicked in and I was going to fight, I was going to do whatever I could to protect myself. And now my heart is beating wildly and I'm sucking in too much air for my lungs to try and hold.

My brother's arms squeezed me against him in attempt to calm me down, "It's okay. It's just me."

I nodded slowly and squeezed my eyes shut. This is getting a bit out of hand, these stupid hallucinations. I shouldn't be seeing black fog when I'm awake and fully conscious. It's not logical.

"What happened? Where's Stiles?" Scott asked after my moment of panic seemed to dissolve in his embrace.

"We... well, he found it and sent me after you, but he found something. He told me to come find you," I panted, slightly out of breath from the run and my minor panic attack just moments ago.

His eyebrows shot up, "Stiles suggested that you leave his side? That never happens."

"Yeah well, there's a first time for everything I guess. Come on," I remarked as I grabbed his arm and began to lead him back towards where the den was.

We had been waiting for Scott to come back, mindlessly walking around the area by the over turned car, when Stiles' flashlight happened to hit the coyote den. Upon further investigation we found a few things inside of the den that I could only imagine came from the car. Stiles then suggested that one of us go find Scott, and since he was too scared to roam the woods with the possibility of coyote's roaming around, I volunteered and he quickly obliged.

The moment that Scott and I trudged up the hill towards the den, Stiles jumped in place and darted over to us, "Are you okay? I heard you scream," he asked me as his tawny brown eyes ran over my exterior, checking for any possible chips in my paint, so to say.

I glanced at Scott praying that he wouldn't bring up what I had yelled when he found me, "I'm fine. Scott ran into me."

For once he did the intelligent thing and nodded, "Yeah, I caught her off guard."