Jester

The stillness of the new world made me choked in silence. I never knew it was even possible to time travel to a different place in time. I didn’t even believe in such thing! The blue sky above me was clear, only a cloud or two in sight. Heat of the sun radiated throughout the field, my skin soaked its warmness. I was surrounded with tall trees and a green field that stretch vastly beyond. It was all very still. No sound could be heard, no breeze swept through at all. Looking around, to no avail I found no animals or humans in sight. Where was I?

I didn’t want to leave the shade the trees were giving, keeping me cool under the sun but I can’t just stand where I was all day long. The curiosity to find out where I was got the better of me and I started to walk through the grassy field that were as high as my waist. It wasn’t so hard to walk through the plain, grassy field though I was mistaken an hour after walking and still the view I saw was the field itself. The feeling of fear slowly crept in, thoughts of not ever finding anyone screamed loudly at the back of my conscience. Endlessly I walked, to nowhere it seemed. The heat had become unbearable for the next hour and soon I found myself on the ground with sweat dripping from my forehead. I took a rest lying down on the cool grass and was able to smile for a moment as the cool ground reduced the massive heat from my body. My smile was replaced by a frown because there was no way I could take shelter from God’s hottest planet. The sun.

I felt that I couldn’t go on anymore so with the little strength I have left, I pulled the tall grass from its roots until I felt it was enough to cover my body from the heat. Lying down under a pile of grass, the coolness of the dirt against my skin, my eyes couldn’t resist the urge to close and relax. It’s a plain grass field with nothing around. What else could happen? I need rest to go on again tonight.

For hours I must have slept through the afternoon because I lost track of time. As I clean myself away from the grass and dirt that clung to my body, the sky above had slowly turned a dark blue. The sun had gone down and a full moon rest itself in the middle of the dark canvas befriended by glimmering stars. Sighing, I look to my left then to my right. It was too far to go back now, the only option I have was to move on. Luckily the bright moon and the shimmering stars produced a natural light, helping me to be able to see where I was stepping.

The next couple of hours with each step I took brought me no more closer to a village or to another forest. More feeling of fear and isolation mixed with a bit of dread and weariness burdened my mind. I was beginning to wonder if any living creature lived in this world. The real question is which world is this? This, surely, can’t be earth.

Squinting my eyes, I stopped to catch my breath. And then there came my first miracle. Far in the distance was some kind of fire burning and what looked like to be people sitting around a bon fire.

“Hey!” I screamed out loud.

No response from them. The sound I heard was still silence.

“Hey! Can you hear me?” I screamed again, crunching the grass beneath my feet as I trudged forward to get closer to them and the fire that danced merrily in the open field.

Almost halfway to where they sat, I stumbled across some kind of tree stump and fell face first to the ground. I grunted as my shoulder hit the ground first. Why is there even a tree stump in the middle of nowhere.

“What are you doing calling the bandits?” a voice squeaked from nearby. I sprawled to my knees and alertly looked behind me. “It’s alright, no need to be scared.”

The grass rustled near my foot and out came a baby size lion. It was completely white and even though its size was that of a cub, it was majestic and magnificent at the same time. The beast completely took my breath away. One because it was beautiful and two because it was actually talking.