Remember Me...Your Girlfriend?

Start from the beginning

"Blah, blah, I get it. Don't start your 'Matty and I are the perfect couple' nonsense. It annoys the shit out of me." Alexis rolls her eyes and puts on a bored façade.

She just didn't get it.

Alexis is the sweetest girl I know, but when it comes to serious things it's like her brain is programmed to shut down. She's the kind of person that would rescue a stray kitten from getting hit by car even if it meant her getting hit by the car in the progress. Maybe some day she's going to cure cancer or stop world hunger, you never know.

"Speaking of the devil...Hey Pork Chop!" Alexis calls out at Matthew who's on his way over to us.

I slap her arm.

"Ouch!"

"Be nice!" I hiss at her with a meaningful glare, before I look at Matt and give him a huge smile that comes from my heart.

He almost got to us, but tripped on his own feet and fell smack on his face.

A group of popular guys was just walking by, "I don't even know why we try to embarrass you, you're so good at it yourself." Jason, apparently the hottest ninth grader in school, says with a grin, making his friends holler with laughter at their private jokes as they walk away.

I hurry over to him, "Oh, Matty." I mutter, helping him up.

He dusts himself off and gives me a peck on the lips.

Matthew Romero. My childhood best friend and boyfriend. We've known each other since diaper days. Our mothers went to the same college together and have been friends ever since, so I practically grew up with him and his family. There is nothing I don't know about him or he about me. We've been dating for almost a half year now.

He asked me to be his girlfriend on my fourteenth birthday. I still remember his adorable proposal. It was in the tree-house his dad built in their back yard. He behaved so shy and nervous about it he said 'hurlfriend' instead of 'girlfriend' because he really felt like he was going to hurl of nervousness at that moment. He immediately turned red and just shoved something into my hand.

When I looked down at it, the first thing I saw was the color rosy pink. A perfectly sculpted heart that is out of pure pink rose quartz, dangling from a shiny silver chain. Even though it's such a common stone, it still struck me how pretty it looks. Matt had made the necklace himself since his mother makes the most beautiful necklaces for a living and enjoys doing so. I've been to the Jewel shop she works at once and I fell in love with all the different stones and crystals, the colors and the art.

I still wear the necklace now and I never take it off. Cliché, I know. But if you receive something from someone you love, you hold it dear.

Matt is not Prince Charming I admit, but in all of the years I've known him, his appearance has become less and less important until it didn't bother me at all anymore. I'm defiantly not perfect myself, so why expect him to be perfect?