Chapter Forty-Two

Hey guys, guess who's back. I want to apologize for my absence these two weeks. I've been focusing on my schoolwork since the term is over in a week or so. But anyways, I hope you like this chapter. It took for me to write a version of this chapter that I liked so I really hope you enjoy it. This is a very short chapter but the one following will be longer. So without further waiting, I give you chapter 42. Please vote comment, and fan.

            I stood on the porch debating on whether or not to knock or let myself in the house. Mr. Benetes’ car stood in the driveway, meaning he was only home for the moment. Sucking in a breath, I knocked and waited for him to answer. When he finally did, the look of knowing in his eyes. I gulped hard, knowing that this wouldn’t be easy. He motioned me inside.

            “What happened to Joei?” he asked once the door had clicked close.

            “Please sit Mr. Benetes.”

            “Tell me right now Mikha! I have to know if she’s alright. You promised me you’d protect her no matter the cost.”

            “I know but this time I couldn’t. She was kidnapped while I was working. Joei wanted to stay at my house the night before she was kidnapped and then she was gone. She was supposed to call me the minute she got home.”

            “Why didn’t you just drive her home? This could have been avoided,” Mr. Benetes spat.

            “I offered to but she decided to sleep in and it’s not like I could have forced her. Maybe I should have just woke her up but knowing Joei, I would have probably gotten hit in the face. Besides, she wanted to walk. Who am I to deny her of that?”

            “That is Adia so your logic is understandable. Now tell me, what is being done to find her?”

            “At the moment I have guys looking and asking questions as we speak. Three other acquaintances of mine know who have her and have gone to retrieve her.”

            “Who has her?”

            “I don’t know but my acquaintances do. Although you don’t know them, they are very trustworthy, minus one, but I know they’ll bring her back.”

            “How do you know they will? Why didn’t you go with them?”

            “One has feelings for Joei. He’d do just as much as I would to bring her back safely.”

            “Why did you stay behind though?”

            “If I went you would have no idea about what’s going on Mr. Benetes. I had to tell you what’d happened and what was being done. Although I wanted to go myself, you had to be informed.”

            Mr. Benetes looked at me with respect evident in his eyes. “What do you need me to do?”

            I hesitated. My job was to keep him from doing anything rash but his resources would help a great deal.  “Don’t do anything crazy. It should take about a full week to retrieve and return Joei. After that time expires, you can do whatever you want. But right now I really just need you to wait it out.”

            “Just wait? How the hell am I supposed to wait?! The bastard who killed her mother could have Joei. What do you want to wait for? Is it for that madman to dump her body on the porch?”

            “That isn’t going to happen. Joei can talk her way out of anything. Please Mr. Benetes, trust my guys and me on this. We are more capable than you may think or believe. Give us that week and then you can say whatever you want about us.”

            “Fine. I’ll give you a week and a half. It’s going to take some planning and I don’t want your guys going in blindly. Once the time expires, I get my men and you take the backseat,” he responded.

            “Deal. I have to go but I’ll keep you posted on everything.”

            “You better Mikha. I have to return to work. Come by or call my cell whenever you have something. I’m trusting you Mikha. My baby girl’s life is on the line.”

           I nodded and let myself out. All my previously felt nervousness had dissipated, leaving me hollow with guilt. I should have driven her home. If I wasn’t so hell bent on keeping her safe from the guys she might not have been abducted. I heaved a sigh and headed home.  I had a lot to do, to think about. If the pack was going to the Underground, I needed to get them prepared. As long as Joei was gone, I would not rest.

So what are your thoughts? Sorry it's a really short chapter but that's all I had for Mikha at the moment. Next chapter will be longer. Please comment, vote, and fan. Also, I entered TDR in the Watty Awards and I would love your support. Please help me win at least one catagory. It would mean so much to me. So with that said, it is going on 2AM for me. Goodnight and I hope you enjoy the chapter.