Thirty Five: Who?

The two of us remain quiet until we arrive and before I can open the door to leave Jim decides to pipe up, "Ali listen," His voice is laced with too much concern. "just be careful, alright? And they are throwing you a bit of a welcome back party." Sighing I nod in response as the two of us depart the car and head straight for the office. 

Walking inside I feel positivity radiate, looking around banners are hanging and suddenly all of the staff appear, "Welcome back Ali!" They yell enthusiastically. 

Covering my mouth I can feel my smile getting larger, dimples on display as I take my hands away. In complete awe I struggle to form a response, actual words that could make sense. "I just, I," Stuttering over myself I just walk up to my boss, hugging him tightly. "thank you, all of you." 

We all talk for a while, catch up on the events I've missed in the past two months. Carter came over and we both spoke about Maddie, informing me on some information Jim may have missed out on telling me. As we all left the office to start our jobs before the zoo officially opened to the public I wandered around the grounds I missed, picking out the different enclosures and animals I'd wave to on route to seeing Maddie and the others. 

Reaching the large sign to Maddies infamous enclosure I smiled, she was awake and walking lengths of the open space. "Hey girl." I spoke up as I neared the cage, placing my hand on the bars as she turned her head, glancing my way. 

When I first started I never thought nor expected to form an attachment to the animals here, I was going to just do my job at the end of the day but after a month or so Maddie along with our Exmoor beast were ones I always cared for the most. Some days I'd go and see Michael, the penguin guy and feed the penguins prior to a show. Then when Jim came along a year or so later my bond and attachment only grew, now I couldn't imagine being anywhere else besides here. 

Getting on with my usual jobs Jim helps me more than normal having taken on more responsibilities since my absence. "Attention staff the zoo will be opening in ten minutes. I repeat ten minutes until we open, that is ten minutes until opening hours. Thank you." Carter announced over the speakers which were replaced by animal noises, something that I haven't missed to say the least. 

"You ready?" Jim asked as we threw Maddies food in for her, to which she quickly went through as we moved onto the other cats. 

Watching him throw the food in as I admired the serenity of the quiet zoo I shrugged my shoulders, "As I'll ever be." Half smiling we took the empty containers back to the kitchens and took our usual positions. 

I stood by Maddie, prepping myself for the enthusiasm I need to get me through the day. We are usually quiet until at least 1pm, considering we are more out of reach than the other animals as the cats need more space to run. Mentally I run through my usual points that have been etched into my memory, my smile already in place. 

Most of the morning had past and the sun was coming into closer view along with excited voices. Moving out of the cooling shade I stood back up as a few people neared the enclosure, pointing to Maddie whilst I quietly stood by. My job is to speak if I'm asked a question or on the rare occasion I do a talk with visitors then I get to do that but currently I'm just watching by on both Maddie and visitors. 

"Hi, does it have a name?" A girl, no more than ten asks me with her parents close by and visitors behind them, all listening in. 

Smiling I motion for them to all come closer and get a better look at her whilst she was lying still. "Her name is Maddie, she is our only Cheetah here at the zoo and she is five years old." She looks to her parents and they smile back to her, she thanks me and I go back to observing.