I screw the cap back onto the jaw. "Because I didn't know who he was. All I saw was someone about to get beaten to a pulp. I wasn't just going to stand around and watch."

"You could have been hurt really badly," Taylor's calmer voice returns, concern lacing her tone. "I hope you know that both Blair and I would do anything to keep you safe."

Giving a lopsided smile I nod. "You two have this motherly instinct when it comes to me. I don't know whether it's more annoying or heart warming."

"Well that's your fault for being the youngest," She taps the counter before smiling. "Also. Lunch is on Blair by the way, she's using her employee discount and another's because she covered their shift when they had a date or something."

"She really knows how to apologize."

●●●

Out of all days, I've never felt more nervous about entering school before. I just hope I get lucky and can avoid Brian - or anything he has planned. Although I'm not hopeful that I'll get off scotch free. I could only wish that would happen but it seems unlikely.

Not when you know Brian like I do. I've known him since I was a baby and even then he was a self confident jerk. Our mothers were best friends throughout high school and they consistently forced us to play with each other. Until he shoved me out of the tree because I wouldn't share my gameboy.

He had his own but wanted mine. Not long after that, we started high school and then mom died. I remember him coming to her funeral so that means he knows how she died and that my parents got divorced. That was a cover up for the people that weren't my friends or the school staff.

I don't want to be pitied. I had enough of that when people thought I wasn't coming because my parents were divorced. You could only imagine the reaction if everyone knew the truth.

"Hey I was just about to-" Blair stops mid sentence forcing me to look up from the ground. "Why do you look so ghostly?"

I stop walking, adjusting my bag strap on my shoulder. "I'm just tired I think."

Her eyes narrow in the slightest but she nods going to speak when suddenly my phone buzzes constantly. I look down at the contact that reads Nate and hesitantly answer the call despite the weird look Blair gives me.

"Hello?"

"I am so sorry. I swear that I didn't know this world happen. Please tell me you're okay," he rambles and I frown. "Hello? Are you there?"

"Yeah I'm here - what are you talking about?"

There's silence but in the background I can hear murmuring . "You haven't been to your locker yet, have you?"

"No I," Pausing my heart starts to beat faster and I quicken my pace. "What's wrong with it?"

"I'm sorry. I'll paint over it for you during lunch," I feel as if I could cry although I don't know what's written on it. "I didn't think he would target you."

My phone drops to my side when I reach the crowd gathering around my locker. I push my way to the front and feel like I could throw up from the hateful words written all over it. Not just written in paint or a sharpie, they've been cut into the metal meaning it's permanent. You can paint over it but the words will still be there.

"I'll kill him," Blair inhales through her teeth, anger radiating off her while I try not to break down. "Come on. We can report-"

"Do you like your locker?" Brian emerges from the crowd wearing a smirk. "I think it's quite suiting for a freak like you."