Two ~ Settling In

The town was lit in a beautiful array of colours as the sun began to fall below the horizon, the giant stars reflection glimmering on the surface of the ocean.

Makoto stretched his arms high above his head before releasing the breath he'd been holding. Him and his friends had decided to drop by the ice-cream parlour after practice.

He turned and leaned against the railing to watch the group conversing with each other. Makoto had been a bit worried that his cousin, Hanako, would be too intimidated by his friends after what happened at the pool, but it seemed his worries were misplaced as she quietly laughed along with the rest at one of Nagisa's many antics.

However, Makoto's worries should've been placed on his best friend. For the rest of the day Haru had done nothing but avoid Hanako like the plague. Every time they accidentally came within more than a meter of each other Haruka was quick to replace the gap between them.

The entire walk through town had been one awkward struggle for Makoto as he tried to chat with Haru, who'd been distancing himself a good few meters behind the rest of the group, while also pay attention to his cousin so she wouldn't feel left out of the group.

Though Gou had offered to take care of Hanako in his place, Makoto just wouldn't feel right leaving his cousin in the hands of someone she didn't quite know; not that he didn't trust Gou, but he was more worried about Hanako being uncomfortable.

Ever since that incident when she was little Hanako had separated herself from everyone except him, so he was cautious to leave her in anyone else's company.

Makoto turned his attention away from the noisy table his friends occupied to the quiet raven-haired boy standing beside him.

Haru stood with his back to everyone as he gazed out at the orange tinted water, his arms crossed and his elbows resting on the white railing in front of him.

The brunette boy smiled and pulled himself up so he was sitting on the bar. “Haru.” He called to get the other boys attention.

Haru blinked away his thoughts and shifted his deep blue eyes towards the taller teen.

Makoto was about to ask why he had such a problem with his cousin, but quickly thought better of it and instead decided to ask, “Shall we start heading home?”

Instead of responding Haru turned his attention to the calm, serene view of the ocean once more before blowing out a small puff of air and pushing away from the railing.

Makoto took that as a 'yes' and went back to the table, drawing attention away from Nagisa's loud outbursts.

“What is it, Makoto-senpai?” Rei asked, being the first one to notice the brunette sidle up next to their table. The others turned once they heard Rei speak his name.

“I think it's time to call it a day.” He replied, smiling sheepishly as Nagisa whined and stuck his bottom lip out.

“But Mako-chan! It's still so early!” The blonde argued, pointing towards the sun which was almost completely gone now.

“It's almost time for dinner and we don't want our parents getting mad now, do we?” Rei spoke up, siding with Makoto.

“You too, Rei? That's not fair!” Nagisa proceeded to weakly hit his fists against the blue-haired boy's chest as he stood from his seat.

“Hey, Nagisa, stop it!”

“I guess you're right. My brother will be furious if I stay out any longer.” Gou said with a sigh before standing up and pushing her chair in.

“Let's go, Hanako.” Makoto stretched his hand out to the brunette girl still seated at the table. She gave him a small smile before accepting his offer to help her up.