Working Women

*Two Weeks After Newscast*

TIANA

I woke up next to my girlfriend with her hair in my face. I exhaled her scent in because her hair always smelled good. She was one of the few naturalistas around here. Me, I couldn't live that life. I liked to dye my hair and sort of experiment with it. I'm also too lazy to do that shit. I didn't understand how Gwen could do that, because she's about as lazy as I am.

Today was no time to be lazy, though. I had to go to work. I sat up and began to get to take a shower. It was only 9:00 AM, but it took me a little while to get dressed. I decided I would let Gwen sleep in a little longer since she didn't start work until around 11:00. I worked in a local restaurant called Mosely's, and most of the time ended up coming home with containers full of food.

Once I stepped foot into the bathroom, I felt a cramp.

"Oh, my God." I said out loud. I use sit on the toilet, just to see if my period had started.

It baffled me as to why I had cramps for two days, and my period had yet to start. Well, shit, Mother Nature ain't gonna catch me slippin'. It seems that I should take a couple tampons to work with me. And some aspirin. These cramps were no joke. My period could start any day now.

I stood up and flushed the toilet, and proceeded to start my shower and get ready for the day.

I wake Gwen up with a gentle push.

She mutters.

"G, get up. It's almost time to go to work. Get ready so I can drop you off.
She sat up and rubbed her eyes.
"What's for breakfast?" She asks.
"I made some omelets." I replied.
"No peppers, right?"
"Yes, I left out the peppers."
"It's kind of weird."
"What's weird, baby?" I ask, following Gwen to the kitchen.
"Marcus. He worked with me for awhile. The whole murder shit is still on my mind, heavy."
"School's been weird too, you know? Shrines of him all over the place, like he was a good person. Pfft."
"I know how much trouble he's caused us, but... He's dead, Ti. We might as well forgive him. "

I knew in my heart that I shouldn't be mad at what he did to G. Not to mention that he violated me time after time. This last violation was gonna stay with me forever.

"Let's just hurry up and get to our jobs." I said, eating slowly.
Whenever I got cramps, I was careful about eating. One bad cramp and I could kiss my breakfast goodbye.

"What's wrong, babe?" G asks me.
"Ugh, I'm cramping like crazy. My period must be on the way."
"Damn! You should've let me eat it last night."
I chuckle.
"I appreciated your offer, but I just wasn't in the mood. I was just as satisfied cuddling."
"You're all fucked out? Still sore, huh?" she said with a smile.
"...Yeah." I replied, and went back to eating.
I finished my food, brushed my teeth and waited for Gwen to finish getting reafy for work.
15 minutes go by.
"Babe, you ready?" I shout, putting my hair into a bun. I was wearing my work uniform, which consisted of a dress shirt and slacks. This is what waiters at Mosely's had to wear since the owner wanted it to be a place of class. The gag is, we're a chicken joint. A fancy chicken joint. The only real differences between us and Curly's are the suits and our silverware is wrapped in linen.

"Yeah, let's go." She said. Today she wore cargo shorts and a plain black shirt. She had her hair in two fishtails and had two diamond studs in her ear.

"I wish I felt better. I'd definitely miss work and tear that ass up."
She smiles as she passes me.
"I wish you felt better, too. I've been drooling over you all morning."
I pick up my phone, keys, and wallet and then follow Gwen outside.

I head to the driver's side of my car. My brother Tim won a huge truck from the lottery and let me have his old car.

I pulled out of the house lot, and as we passed Gwen's house, she remembered something.
"We gotta go shopping for the baby."

Gigi and Reggie, Gwen's parents, have another kid on the way. Gwen was so excited when she called to tell me.

"Hopefully I feel okay after work. If not, we'll go tomorrow after school."
"Okay."

I pulled up to the library and stopped the car. "Have a good day." I said.
"Aight, call me when you get home." She replies.
"Okay." I said, before smooching her on the lips.
She gets out of the car and goes into the library.
I pull off, going to work, praying my cramps didn't get worse. I didn't need to be holding my side while taking an order. That's not a good look.

GWEN

I walked into the library. I felt more somber than usual because Marcus obviously wouldn't be there. I used to look forward to his days off because that meant I didn't have to deal with his bullshit but he's ... dead. He's never coming back. He got killed in a park and his killer hasn't even been caught yet. Although he was a straight up asshole the first day he got there, and would constantly talk smack about Tiana, that didn't mean he was impossible to work with. As a matter of fact, when we weren't on the subject of "us" or Tiana, he was an okay dude. Now, I had to sit and pretend like I gave a shit about Mrs. Little's pets or her losing her dentures by myself. Mrs. Little is as sweet as can be, but I don't know why she thought we cared about her stories. That's not what sixteen year olds wanna hear.

I sank in my chair and started to log in on my computer. It was time to scan some books through the cattalogue. I didn't even wanna be at work, which was very rare. I loved going through all the books. I've read at least 12 of them since I've started working here. Right now, I wanted to be at home, cuddled up with Ti. I wanted to be getting busy with her. It seemed that it wouldn't happen for a week, since her period is on the way, and we didn't do anything but cuddle last night. I guess she had alot on her mind.