Chapter 29

Once the blankets were set up on the ground and the food was dished out, Luke waited till they were about halfway done eating before he began.

"My mom was my favorite person in the world. The one you always look to for advice or a fun time." pausing to gather his thoughts he took a calming breath. "Six years ago she was flying back home from a charity event she helped fundraise. They were going through a storm. I guess there was a lot of turbulence happening so everyone was freaking out then.... Then.."

Moving their plates out of the way, Aria crawled over to Luke, wrapping her arms around him in a comforting manner. "Then?" she asks softly, knowing he needs to get it out. Six years bottled up is not good for the soul.

"Then..lighting struck the plane. They couldn't get it back under control. They ended up taking a nosedive." Feeling like there was more he wasn't telling her she gently probes with an "And?"

"And..." taking a deep breath, he slowly breaths it out and says so quietly she almost didn't hear him "I lost my my baby sister before she was ever born into this world."

"Oh Luke" holding him tighter as he silently cries onto her shoulder, she doesn't care that she can barely breath in his vise grip. She just hold him while running a hand through his hair and rocking him slightly.

When his shaking dies down she asks "How far along was she?"

Pulling back slightly to wipe the tears from his face, his hands instantly replaced by Arias as she strokes his face, making sure he looks her in the eyes to answer her question.

"Four months. She even let me pick out her name. It would of been Arabella." Swallowing the lump in her throat a soft reply of "That's a beautiful name. Your mother sounds like she was a wonderful person."

Nodding at her words, he cracks a sad smile. "She would of loved you. You have brains and beauty yet you don't let it go to your head. Plus you dance, it was her favorite thing to watch. When I was little she would take me to her parents house in the summer and we would cook and dance all-day everyday. It was always the happiest times of my life being there with them."

Suddenly a lightbulb went off in her head "So that's why this is important to you. Why you don't want you friends to know yet, and why you were already good at dancing."

"Yes, yes and yes. But don't forget it's also to spite my dad." he replies playfully,trying to lighten the mood.

"Your dad, what does he have to do with this?" Now both of them lying down under the stars, Aria rests her head on her hand looking down on Luke laying on his back.

"Ever since mom died he has despised anything related to dancing. The only way he goes to buisness Balls is to talk with other pencil pushing dicks about spending money. He totally avoids the dance floor. Dancing with you... it gives me a purpose. Before I was just going to school to please my father since I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. This competition, this scholarship, it gives me a goal in life. Make my mother and grandparents proud of what they taught me. To live again."

Reaching up to brush a strand of hair out of her face, Luke rests his hand on her cheek. Subconsciously leaning forward slightly, she asks again. "What does that have to do with your dad though?"

Licking his slightly salty lips, the action not going unnoticed by Aria, Luke distractedly replies "He was an ass of a father after she was gone. Never there for me, planning my life without taking a second to ask what I wanted. Winning means I'm free of his control. Even if it's just mentally. Winning means I have the strength to leave and live out my dreams."

Faces so close, they are nearly a hairs breath away from each other, Aira can't help but asking "And what are your dreams?"

"Currently? This." Not giving her a second to comprehend his words, Luke brings their faces the last bit together and finally, finally kisses her.

Breathing out a sigh of relief to finally have his lips on hers, there was no wait for hers to move along with his in the soft gentle rhythm he set. Pulling back for air they continue to steal peck like kisses from each other occasionally sucking on the others lip.

Resting their foreheads together, they look into each others eyes. No words need to be said as a calm sets over them. Eventually they begin to pull away and pack up what they brought, ready to head home.

Pulling up in front of her shared apartment, Luke walks her to the door.

"I had a great time, thank you for taking me."

"The pleasure was all mine. I'm sorry for laying my life's tragedies out on you like that. Not really first date stuff." Rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, he looks away slightly embarrassed for telling her so much so soon. He couldn't help it, she made him feel safe.

"Hey" pulling his face back to look at her "Don't think like that. I feel honored you could share that with me. It makes me feel special, like I mean something to you." Blushing at her words she lowers her head. That is till he puts a finger under her chin tilting it back up for him to see.

"You do mean something to me. Without you I'd just be my fathers drone and end up doing something I hate for the rest of my life. Now I can get away from the company and make those I care about proud of what I become. You are making me better so you should feel special. I know I feel special just getting to know you."

Blinking away the tears from his sweet words all she can do is nod.

"I'd really like another date if you'd be up for it. Less depressing I promise" joking at the end to hide how nervous he is at her possible rejection.

Suddenly feeling bold she claims "Kiss me and find out"

Smiling he bends down slightly to capture her lips in a barely there kiss that leave them both wanting more.

"Well?" he asks dieing for her answer to which he receives a breathless "Yes"

Clearing her throat and unclenching her hands that at some point created a death grip on the front of his shirt, Aria puts her key in the lock, looking over her shoulder once the door is open.

"Goodnight Luke"

"Goodnight Aria, I'll be looking forward to that next date."

Bending her head and smiling like a fool, a quiet "Me too" escapes her lips before she closes the door behinder her, heading to her room for the night.