Chapter 47

My mind was reeling, but nonetheless I stayed calm. It was all I could do. Stay calm.

I waited until he had his eyes closed to walk out the door. I tried to make sure my footsteps were quiet, although I knew it would be tough by the time I got to the steps. Those things creak like you wouldn't believe.

And of I didn't get too far. In fact, just right past the frame.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

I turned around. "Kitchen," I said. "To get you some ice. Figured it's the least I could do. I mean, I did drag you here in the first place."

His eyes were on me, his eyebrows scrunched. And then I watched as he shook his head, "Harley, I honestly don't need any ice," He half laughed. "It's late. You're tired. I'm tired. If you want I'll leave, it'll be for the best anyways."

He then started to make his way off the bed, "Yeah, I'm just going leave."

"You don't have to." I said. "It's my fault -everything that happened- it's my fault."

"If this is about my nose, it's going to heal," He laughed. "Don't stress over it. I'm not worth stressing over."

"It's not just you," I said, running a hand through my hair. "It's been everything, the game, Ben-".

"And Harry." He finished.

I nodded. "And Harry," I repeated.

And then he ruffled his hands in his hair, his eyes on me with a look of sympathy.

"I honestly don't even want to know what he's done. What he's done to you- I just don't want to know."

"Then I won't tell you." I said. "But can I ask you something?"

He nodded. "Fire away."

"How do you know Harry?" I asked. "Like, from where?"

He smiled, showing his teeth. "You want to know?" He asked.

I nodded eagerly.

And then I watched as he shrugged. "Long story."

I laughed, "Long story? I have time."

"Unimportant story, then?" He spoke wearily.

"Well, it isn't unimportant to me." I said.

"You should honestly just drop it-"

"Then I'll just ask Harry," I cut in. "I'm sure he'll tell me."

"I'm not sure you want him to," he said, making his way to the door where I currently stood. He put his hand on the frame. "And I'm not so sure he wants you to."

"So you're going to leave?" I asked.

He simply smiled. "It's best if I do."

I shrugged. "Alright. But I can see the bruise forming."

He nodded, "But at least it'll make me look tough, and I right?"

I laughed, "They'll be talking about you tomorrow in the halls, your name will be spoken school-wide."

"Heck yeah."

And then I moved out of the way so he could get by. But he turned around.

"Follow me down," He said. "I want you to lock the door behind me."

"Alright?" I laughed.

As we walked down the steps Sawyer nearly tripped. Grabbing onto my hand being the only thing to keep him from tumbling.