Chapter 1 - A Song And A Bucket

Chapter 1 – A Song And A Bucket

“Nathan don’t you dare!” I said running away from my best friend as he edged nearer with a bucket of water. I’d sat in his favourite seat in his backyard and wouldn’t move so he'd decided to walk in the house and back out again a few minutes later with a bucket of cold water threatening to throw it on me if I still refused to move.

Nathan and I had been best friends for as long as I could remember. Back in the day Nathan’s mum had been best friends with my mum, making us as close as any two people could be. Now of course Nathan was a member of boy band ‘The Wanted’ and he was doing so well for himself, I was proud of everything he and the other boys had done.

Management had given them a week off so the Gloucester boy had come home to spend some time with his family and me! I found it weird seeing him on posters, magazines and CD covers; to me he would always be the lad that would chase you around the garden, or bug you until you had a massive smile on your face.

“I will pour it over you if you don’t move out of my chair” Nathan said still edging nearer by the second, it was times like this which reminded me of my childhood with him.

“You wouldn’t-” I said, but I knew as soon as the words had left my mouth I was wrong – true to his word a few seconds later I was drenched in cold water, even though it was refreshing under the hot summer heat it didn’t put me in the best of moods.

“SID! You better run now or I’m gonna kick some sloth butt!” I said looking up at his figure leaning over and clutching his stomach with laughter. I stood up and took a step towards him before the smile vanished off his face and he raised an eyebrow before turning and running in the opposite direction. One of the good things for me at that moment in time was Nathan was a pretty slow runner and normally ended up coming in last place in any kind of race, using this to my advantage I moved forward and pounded on his back.

“You’re too slow Nath” I said hugging him in my newly wet clothes making him groan in frustration. I laughed and ruffled his hair, he hated when I did that so it only made him duck away from me further. He was about to run after me when my phone rang, I pulled it out my pocket and grinned when I saw the caller ID hitting accept.

“George!”  I said smiling as Nathan rolled his eyes and walked inside. George was my boyfriend; we’d officially been a couple for two months, although Nathan didn’t seem to like him because he thought he was one of those obvious players. Sure he was pretty popular, golden eyes, short brown hair, but he made me feel like a princess when I was around him and I couldn’t be happier.

“Hey babe, want to come round later? I’ve got nothing to do” he said and I rolled my eyes, he never had anything to do. He was either out with his friends, on his Xbox or doing something else. I didn’t really like it when he called me babe either but I couldn’t complain, it was only one little flaw.

“Uh yeah sure. I’ll come round to your house at five” I said, I wanted to spend the rest of the day with Nathan since I didn’t get to see him that often and George only lived around the corner so it wouldn’t take long for me to get there.

“Perfect see you later” he said and hanging up before I could even say bye. I shoved my phone back in my pocket and walked inside to find Nathan sat at the kitchen table eating some chocolate. The house was pretty empty because our parents had gone out to a garden centre or somewhere like that.

“Save me a bit” I said skipping over and talking a piece out his hand that he was just about to eat before giggling and running up the stairs to change before he could even react. I loved teasing him; it was like my full time job when he was around.

I walked passed Nathan’s room which looked like any other boys bedroom and into the spare room that I’d claimed as my own. I’d spent so much time here when I was younger our parents decided to make it into a room for me, I even had a set of clothes and photos on the wall. My house was similar with a room Nathan used full of all his things, it’s like we both had a second home.

I walked to the dresser pulled out a simple red summer dress before putting it on and brushing my hair which had taken a hit from the water. The clock read 3:45 do I had a good hour and fifteen minutes before I had to go to George’s, I slipped on my  blue flip flops and flip-flopped my way down the stairs walking into the conservatory where Nathan and I usually hung out. He was lying on the sofa humming to a song and stopped but grinned when I walked in.

“Ah, the famous red dress makes an appearance” Nathan said and I went over sitting on his legs since he was still lying down. I don’t know what it was with Nathan and this dress, I’m pretty sure it was because a few years ago I had worn it to the beach with our families and it had blown up in the wind revealing my underwear, Nathan wouldn’t let me live it down.

“Haha, Mr Cap” I said, there was never a time when we didn’t joke about, Nathan shoved me off his legs and stood up dragging me to the piano.

“I want to sing a song for you, I love it. It’s by a band that supported us on tour, Lawson. It’s so catchy” he said before swiftly moving his fingers over the keys. I sat on the piano stool next to him so our shoulders brushed as he began to sing.

“Sitting here wide awake, thinking about when I last saw you, no you’re not far away, close my eyes and I still see you, lying here next to me, wearing nothing but a smile” Nathan sang, grinning and playing the piano at the same time, people said boys can’t multi-task but I had to disagree!

“Gotta leave right away, counting cracks along the pavement, to see you face to face, thinking about the conversation, I know I’m not one to chase, I’ve never wanted nothing more, as I walk up to your door”

“Standing in the dark, she’s dancing on the table, I’m looking through the glass she’s someone else’s angel, it may sound stupid that I wanted you back, but I wanted you back girl, and now we’re standing in the dark, dark, oh, dark, dark, oh, dark, dark, oh, dark, dark, oh, oh” his voice pierced through the silent house making goose bumps appear on my skin.

“All I wanna do is hide, but I can’t stop myself from staring, wishing his hands were mine, I can’t stop myself from caring, and as he turns down the light, I’m feeling paralyzed, as he looks into her eyes, oh, yeah, alright”

“ Standing in the dark, she’s dancing on the table, I’m looking through the glass she’s someone else’s angel, it may sound stupid that I wanted you back, but I wanted you back girl, and now we’re standing in the dark, dark, oh, dark, dark, oh, dark, dark, oh, dark, dark, oh, oh, hm, no. And now I’m standing in the dark, dark” Nathan finished the song and his fingers stopped moving on the keys, he grinned back at me as I just stared at him, he’d got so much mature and better with his voice.

When we were younger Nathan always used to sing to me, if he wouldn’t I would always annoy him until he finally gave in and sang a song, but hearing him sing that now, it was magical and it sounded so sincere. He was my best friend, talented, funny, sloth-like, but when he sang that song I couldn’t help but think that there was something more behind it.