The Imposter | Chapter Fifteen [Perforce]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

[Chapter Fifteen]

----------------------------------------------------------------

perforce \pur-FORS\

(adv.) By necessity or by force of circumstance

----------------------------------------------------------------

As it was, Kyle took an extra long time getting to the Correctional Center. The trip that should have only taken a half an hour at most took him three hours. Three hours of sitting in a crowded cell, trying to avoid contact with the other people and praying to God that no one would touch me.

When Kyle finally arrived, Thunder the Policeman came to get me, smirking at my defeated look. "Your boyfriend is here," he said grudgingly. He unlocked the door and motioned for me to come out. I was too relieved to be out of there to argue with him about Kyle not being my boyfriend.

I scrambled out of that cell faster than a turkey on Thanksgiving and grabbed onto Kyle's arm. "Get me out of here, now!" I hissed. He looked down at my hand on his arm and then back up at me pointedly. It took me a moment, but I understood his actions quick enough and released his arm. "Sorry," I muttered.

He merely raised an eyebrow, thanked the policeman and led the way to his car. "What took you so long?" I demanded, trailing after him and trying to keep up with his long strides. I swear one of his steps equaled three of mine.

"I had something to do before I picked you up. Sorry I didn't just drop everything to get you. I knew where you were and I figured you'd still be there an hour or two later," he said coldly.

"I could have been butt raped!" I yelled, causing people to give us weird looks.

Kyle grabbed my arm and practically threw me into his car. "You are going to sit there and stay quiet, until I say so. Is that understood?" I glared at him, but didn't say anything. "Is that understood?" he repeated.

"You told me I couldn't say anything," I returned snottily.

Growling, Kyle threw the car into gear and pulled out of the parking lot. I could practically see the steam rolling out of his ears, but I was too pissed to care. Well all right, I felt a little guilty for being such a brat, but he knew how to push every single one of my buttons.

After a few minutes of utter silence, I looked at him out of the corner of my eyes. "Thank you," I whispered. His hands tightened on the wheel, but he didn't say anything. I settled back in my seat and stared out the window, watching the familiar trees and houses roll by. Pretty soon though, I didn't recognize anything. "Uh, Kyle, where are we going?"

"I thought I told you to shut up," he growled.

"That's nice, but seriously, where are you taking me? I'm pretty sure we passed my house minutes ago."

"We're not going to your house," was his reply.

"No shit, Sherlock," I muttered. I 'hmphed' unhappily and stared back out the window, wondering where he was taking me. I wasn't too worried, it wasn't like he was kidnapping me, but I hated not knowing things and Kyle was the King of Secrets.

Boredom set in after a couple more minutes so I reached for the radio knob only to be quickly slapped away by Kyle. I glared at him and tried again to no avail. He kept his eyes on the road the entire time, apparently using his peripheral vision. Devising a plan I reached out with my left hand, using it as a diversion. When he slapped it away, I used my right hand to push the knob. Success! The radio turned on for 0.1 seconds before Kyle had it shut off again. "Aww come on," I pouted. "I totally won that skirmish."