Chapter 1

Dear Diary,

There is a reason I stay away from Mystic Falls. The place I used to call home, where I fell in love and found a family other than my father, it is the place where I lost my husband and best friend all in one night. But every five years I come back to this dreaded town to visit their graves and tell them about my life as a vampire. I tell them how I wish Katherine Pierce never came into our lives, how I wish she hadn't compelled my husband to cheat on me then later tell me how she compelled him to do so and then compel me to forget everything she told me.

Sincerely Gabriella Salvatore

Pulling out a piece of paper I begin to write a letter to my husband.

My Dearest Damon,

The world is different. I am different. I killed a couple who were driving on the highway last night. The man cried when I drank his wife first, then I finished him for dessert. Being a vampire is liberating! I have the power to put fear in humans. You would love it!

I met with a witch friend of mine the other day, she told me that a vampire could only fall in love with their soulmate. I laughed at her and told her that was a lie because after 145 years I am still in love with you. Damn it Damon 145 year after your death and I am still in love with you! Valentine, my witch friend, told me it was because you were my soulmate. I left her store after that. I mean, how could you tell someone that their dead husband is their soulmate! You just don't.

I think I am going to head to Spain after I say goodbye to Mystic Falls for the next five years. I need to see my family's graves. I haven't done it since I became a vampire. I don't know why everytime I say I will go I find excuses to not go. If Stefan was here he would call me out for being scared, then you would probably smack him in the head and then tell me I have a right to be afraid of going. Only you understood how I felt about my mama's death and the toll it took on me. Well, I am going to go explore the new Mystic Falls.

Hasta la vista mi amor. Siempre tendrás mi corazón, incluso en la muerte es tuyo.{Farewell my love. You will always own my heart, even in death, it is yours. }

Love your wife Gabriella

Sighing I place my diary in my messenger bag and stand up. I look down at my husband's grave one more time before I  burned the letter and then decide to head into town and look around a bit. Nothing has really changed in the last five years. Well, the only thing I actually notice is that Dr. Gilbert's office is closed down. Feeling a sudden wave of sorrow I decide to head to The Grill to get a drink.

-------

"A glass of bourbon, please," I say to the bartender. Looking around the restaurant I watch as a group of girls sits at a booth in the corner. One a preppy looking blonde, a dark-skinned witch, and the last one.... Katherine? What the hell is she doing here and why is she with the two other girls?

Slamming back my drink I watch the girls, well mainly Katherine. They talk for an hour until Blondie and the dark girl left, soon followed by Katherine who is checking her phone. Following her outside I wait for her to stop walking. Using Vamp speed I grab her a slam her into the ally wall.

"What the hell are you doing back here Katherine? Did you not get enough last time?" I spit out holding her in a choke hold. She squirms around trying to pry my hands off her neck. I see nothing but red as I look into her eyes.

"I'm...not...Katherine!" She breathes out when I loosen my hold a bit. Katherine would have slammed me off of her by now, so why isn't she? Suddenly I am pulled off of the girl and slammed into the dumpster. I look up groaning in pain, next thing I know I'm surrounded by darkness.

***Stefan's POV***

I was waiting for Elena when Damon called telling me about how there was another Vampire in town. It would make sense I guess, but this vampire kills exactly like Damon does. I hang up after he told me he was going to talk to the sheriff about it to see how he can help. "BANG!" I hear from the direction of the ally by The Grill. Using vamp-speed I find a dark-haired vampire holding Elena against the wall. I speed up to them and threw the stranger into the side of the dumpster as she goes to get up I snap her neck then turn to check on Elena.

"Are you okay?" I asked her worriedly.

"Yeah, Stefan she thought I was Katherine and asked me what I was doing back," Elena tells me as she stands up straight. Curiously I look at the female vampire and am shocked. Gabi? Picking her up I turn to Elena.

"Can you meet me at the boarding house. I am going to take her there." I say before I speed off, with my sister in my arms.