Chapter Eighteen

Song to the side

Carrie Underwood- I'll Stand by You

why you look so sad

The tears are in your eyes

Come on and come to me now

Don’t be ashamed to cry

Let me see you through

Cause I’ve seen the dark side too

____________________________

 Chapter Eighteen

| Winnie |

Back at school and nothing seem to change. Dmitri walked me to my first class, and waited for me after. He held my hand or wrapped his arm around my waist, and kept kissing my cheek every now and then. He wasn't afraid of what anyone was saying or whispering about. He didn't care and after my morning class, neither did I.

It wasn't until I went into the girl's locker room to collect my stuff, and empty my locker since I wasn't cheering anymore that those thoughts had finally set in.

I spotted Anna before walking in the room, but decided against coming back later since I had promised Lilly we would get a pizza after school. I figured she could use the distraction and Dmitri, Lacy and Alan were even going with us. So sucking it up, and holding my head high, I walked into the locker room and headed straight for my old locker.

It was sort of metaphoric in a way, cleaning out the locker of my old self. The person I thought I had to be in order to keep myself somewhat sane, now I was happy to leave all that behind and just be myself. Not the new me, but the real me. The one who didn't care what other people thought, or said about her. The me where I was loved by a great guy, and made some great friends. Friends I could be myself with, and they wouldn't judge.

"Well, well, well look who it is. You know, Kristin and I are team captains now, right? Sorry to say but we're currently not accepting try-outs. So why don't you go back to your nerd herd friends, Winnie."

I shake my head, and smile at the ridiculous attempt Anna tries to get a rise out of me with. I didn't have time for it, nor did I care. With the police reports and questioning, and Lillian, I was tired and not in the mood. And also there was a super-hot Russian waiting for me just outside the door that I couldn't wait to make-out with for the tenth time today.

"So how's Vikki, still trying to pretend we don't exist? I see her walk the other way when she spots me in the hall between classes. She apart of your loser squad too?" I continue to ignore her, and begin folding my gym clothes and placing them in my backpack.

"Oh, I see the silent treatment huh? Oh geez, Winifred you really got me with that one." She laughs as does some of the girls standing, and dressing to the side of her.

Kristin is next to me, slowly changing into her shorts readying for their practice, but I don't look at her. It was sad to say, but I had lost her too in my breakaway from the wrong crowd. After the whole fiasco with Calvin, Kristin once again distanced herself from me, and I figured it was only a matter of time before she chose sides. I knew I wouldn't win that one but I understood her choice. Sometimes we have to do what we have to do and although it sucks, it's okay. Hell, if I had a chance at a good school like Stanford I would probably be in her shoes too.

Although I don't think I would've chose them over my best friend.

"How's mother dearest, Winnie? Still boozing herself into oblivion and letting your step-daddy toss her around?" At this, I admit it gets me but I ignore it and slam the now empty locker shut ready to leave all this shit behind. "You know just cause you got Calvin expelled doesn't mean shit. His dad owns half the town what's some stupid little girl whose mother can't control her alcohol intake going to do to him?"