C H A P T E R 27

Chapter 27: The Choice is Yours Campbell

══════

   The door to the containment room closed and I was left alone in the hallway. With slowly strides I made my way down the hallway. Glimpses of the past sucked me into a part of my mind I got lost in. Colombia, my family, my brother... a life lived long ago.

   He was older than me, but only by twelve minutes. He was my best friend and I was his. When we first moved to America, we were just kids.

   Thinking about him always made me emotional and it was hard to talk about it at times. When I reached the corridor that lead to Coulson's office I wiped away the few tears that ran down my face. With a quick breath to compose myself I opened the door.

   Lincoln stood behind Coulson with his arms crossed over his chest. He flashed me a quick smile before urging me to come inside. Coulson turned his head and gave me a concerned look. His eyes went from the dog tags hanging around my neck to my slightly puffy eyes, "You okay, Rodriguez?"

   When I didn't answer right away he repeated the question. I shook my head lightly, to rid it of the distractions, before answering him.

   "Yeah."

   Still not completely convinced, Coulson kept his eyes on me for a little longer.

  "I'm good."

   I know he had more questions, but I was thankful that he had chosen to keep them to himself. I pulled a chair out from under the table, and took a seat. I watched as Coulson stared intensely at the screen in front of him. His arms crossed as he watched May and Andrew talk.

   Leo worked on getting the security footage of Transia Corporation, the building Daisy would be infiltrating. When a loading screen came up, Fitz began to explain, "We're tapped in. Its a pirated wireless signal, so touch and go." His thick Scottish accent filled my ears as he worked on stabilizing the connection.

   He stood at the head of the table, near me, as he mirrored his tablet screen onto the screen in front of us. Four panels popped up, each one providing a glimpse into a section of the building.

   "Can you find the security office?" I asked.

   "Wait—" Lincoln began from behind us. His finger pointed at the lower half of the screen where wavy line partially blocked a face, "Is that Giyera?"

   Fitz head dropped and I could immediately feel the anger bubbling inside him. He enhanced the images and groaned in frustration.

   "That's him." Jemma sighed, with a hint of annoyance, "I'd know his face anywhere."

   With a few taps on the screen Fitz was able to enlarge one of the four screens that divided the monitor. Coulson turned around to look at Lincoln and asked him if he heard what Andrew was saying.

   "Even he thinks he's serving some higher purpose."

   Lincoln agreed saying maybe it was true, perhaps Daisy and Charles were brought together for a reason.

   "Could be." Coulson looked over his shoulder at Lincoln, "Also, Could be you all are crazy and this is pointless and nothing we see here will make any sense."

   As he talked I glanced over at the screen and saw, none other than, the notorious Grant Ward. I had only ever talked to Grant a couple of times, but from the stories the team have told me he has turned out to be a sick, twisted, slimy son of a bitch. And that became apparent really quickly.