The Session

×

"Good morning everyone," the older lady with dark hair says to the group. Sadie rolls her eyes, "Good morning Winona. We're doing fine," she says blandly and lazily. Winona shakes her head, "Everyone please- tell me how you're doing."

Finn shoots his hand up, smiling widely. Me, who sits on the opposite side of the room, eyes him with curiosity, wondering what his next words would be. "I have something to share," Finn says, bouncing his knee up and down, his foot making a loud thud each time it touched the ground. "I asked how you were feeling, not if you had anything to share-"

"Well what I have to share affects the way i'm feeling," Finn says, lowering his hand and leaning back in his chair. I catch his eyes for a split second, raising an eyebrow at him as he gives me a toothy smile.

"Okay Finn, share with the group," Winona says. Finn crosses his arms, putting a fake pouty face on. "Well now I don't want to talk about it. You've pissed me off," he says, looking down and pretending to be upset.

Winona is silent for a moment, watching Finn throw his fake tantrum like the rest of us. Other patients either giggle and smirk at Finn, some roll their eyes and scoff.

Winona takes her glasses off, "Anyone else care to share?"

"I feel happy," I blurt out. I didn't even think the sentence, the words just tumbled out of my mouth. Finn raises his head, the sides of his mouth raising into a smile as he eyes me.

"Happy?" Winona questions. I nod in agreement. "Well, why are you happy?" she queries.

I shake my head, losing eye contact with Finn because of the risk that my mind will go blank. "I just- I feel happy," I repeat.

I see Winona write something down in the notebook that's opened in her lap. It being too far away from me to get a clear view of what she's writing. "Anyone else feeling happy?"

"She's only happy because she's getting some in here," Sadie says, not looking up from her thin nails that she picks at. Finns eyes go wide and he moves his head, dramatically over in Sadie's direction.

"She's getting what?" he asks her, making Sadie look up from her chipped nails. "Oh shut the hell up Finn. I know good and well you know what i'm-"

"Enough!" Caleb shouts, his eyebrows lowered and an annoyed look present upon his dark features. "You guys are annoying and I already hate group sessions as it is. I don't need Sadie bitching and you feeding into it, Finn!"

Finn raises his eyebrows. He then throws his hands up in the air, "He speaks!?" Finn shouts. Caleb rolls his eyes, then standing up from his chair fast. So fast, the chair practically falls over as he storms out of the room. "Wow Finn," Maddie remarks, leaning her head back on the top on her chair, showing little interest in this situation and group.

"Okay everyone. Let's get back on track-" Winona starts. "Actually, can I choose the group topic today?" Finn questions. Winona looks at him with a slightly annoyed but also intrigued look. "And what do you propose we talk about?" she asks.

Finn puts his hands on his chin, moving his eyes up like he's thinking hard about it. "Let's talk about happiness," Finn suggests, dropping his hands. Winona raises an eyebrow, "What about happiness?"