»part 10 » voidance

Start from the beginning

"You, uh," I hesitated as I sat up, "You like her?"

Lip looks at me intently before answering, "I like the shit she buys me."

I purse my lips and nod, "And she knows that you guys aren't in a relationship, right?"

It's the peace of mind. It's the warm feeling in my chest. It's the tingle in my legs. It's all the feelings that he gives me that demands a clear answer of what him and Amanda are to each other. To him, it may be careless and easy but to me? To me this is pivotal.

He narrows his eyes at me and shifts, "I don't know," He says in a careless tone, "Why do you care so much?"

And like clockwork my defenses fly up, "I could care less. I just wonder why she'd be so interested in-,"

"Interested in a guy like me?" He says in a mockery, "The kid from the ghetto who could barely afford new shoes last year? The kid who grew up with roaches?"

I roll my eyes and get out of bed, "God, spare me the pity party, I was just wondering why she lets you use her."

My addict is grinning at me in the deepest corner of my mind as she prepares herself for a battle. The moment she heard the shift in Lip's voice, she wanted to come out and show true colors and win. She wanted to bathe in the angst and rawness. But I couldn't let her.

With steady hands, I walk over to my discarded jeans on the floor and shove them on one leg at a time completely aware of Lip's glare. Right now, two-years-ago-Cash-and-Lip doesn't seem so different than they are right now.

He holds his hands up, "Is it so hard to believe that some trust fund baby would actually like me? That's classic, Cash."

I square my shoulders and glare at him, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I thought you'd be a little more understanding considering you moved halfway across the continent for some guy who gave you five minutes of his undivided attention." His voice isn't loud but his words are harsh and come from a place that's been dying to stab me.

I scoff and grab my jacket from the ground, "I didn't move for, Ty, Genius Boy."

He takes a drag, "You sure didn't move for your mom."

My fists ball at my sides and I feel annoyance boil in my blood. He's pushing my buttons as a defense mechanism. I poked and prodded at his "not" relationship and now he's trying turn the attention and anger towards me. I'm his easy target when shit gets too hard for himself to admit. Some things don't change.

I take a steady breath and unfold my fists, "Can we not do this right now?"

He stares at me with resentment before taking another smoke, "Whatever. I gotta go get a suit anyways."

I furrow my brows and scoff, "A suit? For what?"

I can tell he doesn't want to talk as he shuffles around his room for clothes. He throws his jeans against the wall and shoes on top of the bed. The way his arms move showcase his veins that are very much evident. I got under his skin and I didn't even do anything.

"Amanda's sorority is having some pin thingy," He says in a lazy tone as he throws on a t-shirt.

I stand there like an idiot, "A pin thingy?"

Lip rakes his hand through his messy hair, "Yeah. The girls in her sorority do this big ceremony where they pin their..."

His voice fades off, avoiding the end of his unformed sentenced but I've already done it for him. My mind sweats and my heart stings. For their boyfriends. The girls pin their boyfriends. Amanda is going to pin Lip and I'm going to be the one with a pin in her heart.