Chapter 85

~flashback~

"He's a great guy," a smile exposing a thousand shades of happiness steals Alan's lips as he melts to the taste of the chocolate cake Liam and I made him for his birthday, "he's really good for you--and I'm not just saying that because he baked me a cake," chocolate fudge is smeared on his teeth and I laugh. His birthday is tomorrow and my mom, Liam, and I baked him a small cake this morning, just a little sample for tomorrow's gigantic one. His love for literature and poetry inspired the decor on it and his favorite Edgar Allan Poe quote is written across it in fancy manuscript.

"You think so?" leaning over the counter I bring the cup of iced tea to my lips and he nods with confidence and honesty--honesty because he doesn't know the truth.

"Oh yeah!" he wipes his chocolate fingers on his denim jeans staining it while swallowing the rest, "from what I see, he treats you great."

"Yeah." I fake a smile screaming behind it for an escape. The makeup and useless online tips of bruise removal do little justice for me, but he doesn't notice and neither does my mom.

Distant chatting between Liam and my mom are heard as they bring in last minute groceries for tomorrows party. Liam's loud Timberland boots press against the ground and he enters the kitchen carrying four bags in each hand effortlessly. His navy blue t-shirt is tight around his body, hugging his stomach and muscles while his jeans fall slightly exposing his boxers waist line. He's wearing the watch I gave him for his birthday around his hand; the hand that causes endless cries and sleepless nights for me, and the screen is still cracked from that night.

"I thought you were going to buy small things?" Alan grabs the bags from his wifes's hands and kisses her through a smile, a smile I wish I could bare.

"Yeah but everything looked great and I thought why not!?" Liam joins her for a laugh and the tight feeling in my chest increases when his hand wraps around my waist. I want to push him away as he kisses my neck but the outcome will damage me more.

"Okay, everybody out!" my mother shoo's us away and grabs Alan's wrist to kick him out, "out, out, out! I'm going to make a surprise."

"I'll help you take everything out of the bags." Liam offers bending down to pick one up.

"It's alright dear," she places her tiny hand on his cheeks with thanks, "I can do it. You kids go and occupy yourselves until dinner is ready." Alan licks the chocolate off his fingers, causing my mom to cringe. She hates when he does that, she such a germaphobe and demands that he goes upstairs to wash up, "that's disgusting," she gags and he swipes his wet finger across her cheek and her heavy gasp of disgust causes him to throw his head back in a fit of laughter as she curses him out, "just leave!" irritation fills her voice and Alan is enjoying every second of it.

I show a small smile towards my parents--the most sincere one I've shown in a long time and it feels good to give one without faking it. Liams brutal hand grabs mine leading me upstairs into my room and every step up is heavy and hesitant.

"Can't we stay downstairs?" my voice is little and I'm trying not to sound so worried and afraid. I don't want to be alone with him, I don't want to be anywhere with him that doesn't involve other people being around because he always ends up doing the same thing.

"No." his familiar tone is back and he pushes the door open and shuts it behind him. He's only nice and smiling when my parents are around and that's the worst part. I sit on my bed and play it cool as he leans against my table across from me and watches me.

"What?"

"Did you forget to put makeup on?" he narrows his eyes examining my face.