Chapter Nine

A.N: I have a twitter account now. If you want to follow I've attached the link to this chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment :)

Three years ago, Nyal Belthorne was in Hav. It wasn't for WGP business, no, he wasn't a part of the Guild at that point. That didn't happen until a few months later. He was just travelling, like he normally did.

He had heard from other travelers that Hav was a kind farming town, but when he arrived, the villagers eyed him suspiciously, like he was dangerous. They wouldn't talk to him, all they would do was sneer and ignore him.

It had confused Nyal for a while, until he wandered into the inn. The inn keeper had very hesitantly given him a room, and Nyal had had to spend most of his money in order to get it. After a lot of questioning and persistance, he had ended up finding out that the Lord who ran the town had been killed the night before.

No wonder they had been giving Nyal strange looks. Their leader gets murdered and someone new comes into town; Nyal would have suspected something too. He had rested up for the night, before heading to the Lord's house.

It hadn't taken much convincing for the Lord's wife to accept his help. It was what he did. He went around to different towns, helping out anyone who needed it. It could be a little old lady who lost her necklace, or it could be the murder of a Lord, he would help them out.

He was known all around Voda and Riba for it and had recently moved to Skodur to try his luck there. The rumors had traveled with him, as the Lord's wife knew who he was. Her two children, Amelia and Mikayla, followed him around like a bad smell, making it hard for him to find the killer.

It wasn't until Mikayla hadn't shown up to follow him one day that he found the man. Amelia had been there but wasn't as chatty when her sister wasn't there. When asked, she would say that she hadn't seen Mikayla since the night before.

Nyal questioned the girl's mother, asking about any enemies her husband had had. The wife only stated one, a man named Max, who lived on the outskirts of the town. He had been angry at the Lord for giving him the money to buy better farming equipment. Nyal had thought it a silly reason to kill someone, but investigated the man nonetheless.

It had turned out that Max had been the killer and was hiding Mikayla away in his barn. He was going to trade her off for money. Through persuasion and coertion Nyal found out that the money wasn't for farming equipment, but because he owed a man money for an illegal substance rarely found in Skodur. When he couldn't get the money, he resorted to stealing, but the Lord had found him in the middle of it, and there had been a fight that hadn't turned out well for the Lord.

Nyal had rescued Mikayla and fought with Max, knocking him out quickly. He was held in the Lord's mansion until someone from Dreeva could come and take him away. Nyal had never been sure about what happened to the man after that, if he was put in prison, or if the people he owed money to found him. He had found that he didn't really care all that much, only wanting to make sure the girls were safe.

He had stuck around in Hav for around a week, looking after Amelia, Mikayla, and their mother. He had been given a large sum of money as a reward, which he hadn't complained about. He left not longer after that, wanting to go on to other places and meet new people. He had promised the girls that he would visit them, but he hadn't gotten the chance before the Guild took him under their wing.

Now though, he was free, and finally making good on his promise, even if it was accidental. Mikayla skipped ahead of him, her hand still gripping his sleeve tightly. Elora was behind him, still looking uncomfortable. It was almost like she had never been around children before.