Everyone looked confused.

"Charlie?" Fabiola said with a cheeky grin on her face. "Why don't you tell the family why Patrick is taking such a gigantic risk?"

Charlie was unprepared for that question. He swallowed thickly.

"You don't have to say anything," Patrick assuredly said next to him.

"Well alright, I'll tell them," Fabiola said.

"Stay out of my business," Patrick said but Fabiola was already talking.

"Charlie is sick. Patrick is his doctor. According to the Australian medical board, they can't date. It's against board guidelines for professional and ethical conduct. He is once again trying to destroy his future for Charlie."

"Is this true?" Mr. del Castillo asked clearly.

Patrick nodded. "I am not destroying my future. There are other jobs. There are no other neurologists here. It's either I stop being his doctor or we break up. I chose the former. He'll get another neurologist and I'll work somewhere else."

"Patrick did you think this through? I mean, giving up your job for someone else...I just don't want you to regret it and end up resenting him," Maria Valdez said compassionately.

"Mama I've made my decision. It's not like I'm giving up being a neurologist. I'll find a job in Sydney. Breaking up with Charlie is not an option," Patrick said.

Maria Valdez nodded.

"Oh you have got to be kidding me!" Fabiola said. She wasn't done. "Did you guys ask yourselves for a second why Charlie would need a neurologist? He's got a godamm brain disease!"

"Fabiola!" Patrick's anger was audible in his words.

"He's got Huntington's disease! Soon he'll be a vegetable that Patrick will have to take care of. He's not just giving up his life here. He's giving up living, period!"

Patrick's blood was boiling. He wanted to beat the crap out of Fabiola, but fought hard to restrain himself. How dare she expose Charlie's condition just like that? Charlie already felt like a burden and she was no doubt making him feel worse. Patrick was torn between letting the anger consume him and protecting his lover.

Charlie stared at the wall. He couldn't look into anyone's eyes. He didn't want to see the hate that would not doubt be there. He didn't want to be there. Why wouldn't they hate him? Fabiola was right. He was making Patrick give up living. Patrick's parents had envisioned great things for him, no him taking care of his vegetable boyfriend.

"Is it true he has Huntington's?" Marco asked.

"What is Huntington's disease?" Mr. del Castillo asked, with a manner that suggested his question was more important.

"Dad it's not important," Patrick said.

"It's important and one of you is going to tell me what it is. Marco?" Mr. del Castillo said.

"Dad I think Patrick..." Marco started but was interrupted by a strong voice.

"That better be the start of your description."

Marco scratched his head. "It's um... it's a brain disease, genetic and incurable. I don't know the mechanisms; I'm not a neurologist or a doctor for that matter. I just know some of its symptoms. They include changes in personality, uncontrollable movements, sleep disturbances, mood changes and progresses to difficulty doing sustained motions like chewing, speaking and walking."

Charlie felt like he was the in the centre of a comedy about him, specifically ridiculing him. He was just waiting for the rotten vegetables now. He wanted badly to leave, but forced himself to stay in his seat.