What Started This All

Jonathan and I was sitting across the room all morning being pissed off. Maybe it was because we lost last night in a very embarrassing matter or that we have gotten on each other's nerves once again.

"You're acting like a giant fucking baby!" he yelled at me.

"Oh," I yelled acting like it hurt. "Then what are you fucking doing, Mr. Crybaby!"

"I'm not a crybaby!" He threw a pillow at me since that was the closest thing by him. "You are just a stupid idiot! Why would I ever love you!"

"I have no fucking clue, Jonathan. Why don't you tell me!" I yelled back at him, throwing the pillow over.

Our fight was winding down, which was a good thing before we ended up doing something we regretted, but Jonathan ended it by getting up and walking out of the house. "Remember to make the plane!" I yelled after him, but I doubt that he heard me. Whenever we are in an argument, he can get really hot headed.

I sat in my spot looking at the door which Jonny fled out of. For some stupid reason, I had this gut feeling that something bad was about to appear because of this. I tried my hardest to forget the feeling, but it persisted without letting up.

I had only thirty minutes before I left for the airport to go to Edmonton. Now, I didn't want to go on the trip. Jonny and I will be stuck sharing a stupid room. Maybe I could crash in someone else's room. No one knows about our relationship, but that's okay. They don't need to know about something that's most likely over.

When I finally left, I quickly got stuck in traffic. Welcome to Chicago! But today, for some stupid reason it was worse than normal. That was when I realized that there was sirens blaring. I ignored that blaring my music even louder. I had to get the whole Jonathan thing off my mind. Music was one way of doing that.

As we continued to inch farther and farther, I could see the ambulance parked in the other lane. Hundreds of people was rushing around trying to help somebody. I felt bad for that person, but I just continued driving.

Thankfully, there was couple officers to direct traffic in the other lane because I was able to bypass the accident pretty quickly.

When I passed the scene, I looked over and I swore I saw somebody I recognized as the lifeless form. The person had brown hair that almost looked identical to Jonny's, but it couldn't be him. Well, that's what I told myself. It couldn't be Jonny.

So I continued on my way. All I wanted to do was to get to the airport. I didn't really think about the accident anymore after I passed it.

I arrived at the airport soon enough. I grabbed my things from my car in silence and went to get on the plane.

"Hey, Kaner!" Crow yelled at me once I climbed aboard. "What took you so long?"

"Accident couple of streets from mine," I quicked said before I went to my seat that I usually share with Jonny.

Duncs was the next one to pipe up. "Where's Jonny? He alway comes with you." The team knows that we live with each other, but they have no idea about our true relationship. Both of us didn't know how they would have reacted, and we didn't want to take that risk.

I shrugged. "Got in a fight this morning. He left before me."

"Plane doesn't even leave for ten more minutes anyway, but I want to get in the air," one of my other teammates loudly said.

"Don't we all," Crow said. "Pat, if you hear anything from our Capt will you tell him to get here?"

"Sure, but I doubt I'll hear anything. He was pretty pissed when he left this morning."

"You two needs to stop fighting with each other. You guys are perfect friends if both of you didn't get on each other's nerves all the time."

I didn't answer to that. I just sat in the window seat, watching and waiting for Jonathan to come but that didn't come.

When we had about two minutes before the plane was scheduled to depart, I got a phone call from an unknown number.

Skeptically, I answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Is this Patrick Kane? This is..." a woman spoke from the other end, but her voice was muffled thanks to my teammates.

"Hold on," I quickly said. I held the phone to muffle it so I could yell at my team. "Guys, be quiet! I have to take this call!" They shut up pretty much, thankfully. "Sorry, can you repeat what you said early?"

"Are you Patrick Kane?" she asked once again.

"Yes, who is calling?"

"I'm calling from Mercy Hospital. We just got a Mr. Jonathan Toews who just got admitted here. You are his emergency contact."

I was in shock. "Are you trying to pull something on me?"

"No, I am not, sir."

"What happened?" I couldn't help but to ask, but I had a feeling that I already knew the answer.

"Sir, can you come down here? I think that it would be better if you was here in person to hear it from the doctor."

"Um..." I looked around frantically at my teammates. All of them was looking at me wondering what the problem was. With my free hand I brushed my curls in despair. "Sure, I'll be right down, but can you answer me one question. Will he be alright?"

"I think you should be here. Then we can know the answer clearer." That statement stabbed my heart. It was basically a huge no. Jonny will not be alright.

I just hung the phone up and leaped out of my seat, leaving my bag. I would have ran off the plane if I wasn't stopped by Q. All the other guys was yelling after me as well, but I quickly ignored them.

"Where are you going?" he asked he holding onto my arm. I knew that he could tell something was really wrong.

"I just got to go. I won't be on the trip, and neither... neither will..." I trailed off. Tears already formed in my eyes started to streak down my cheeks.

Coach Q did something I didn't expect him to do. He held me in a hug. I tried with all my might to calm myself down, but that was almost impossible for me to do.

I guess somebody told the pilot that we couldn't take off quite yet, since it haven't let yet.

After a minute or two, Q must have felt like he must try again. "What is going on?"

"J-Jon is in the hospital. I... I got to... got to go..." I trailed off again. I quickly looked around the plane.

"I know that the two of you are friends..." he started before I cut him off.

"We are NOT friends!" I yelled. It was way louder than I wanted to but my emotions was all together. "Jonny and I are DATING! Okay, he's my boyfriend. I can't... I won't leave him all alone in the hospital!" When I finished, I found my opening to run off the plane.

As I ran to the shelter of my car, I heard my teammates be in awe and confusion. I couldn't deal with them right now. They are my brothers, but there is one person more important that needed me that moment.

I started my car and sped toward the the place that held the one that I loved hostage.