Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

      ‘Yeah, she really does seem to have a knack for getting along with people,’ Jordan mused. ‘I can’t believe I only met her this afternoon, it seems like ages ago.’

     ‘She gives a good first impression,’ Michael told him. ‘But the better you get to know her the more you see that it’s not really a reliable first impression.’

      ‘Well, I like her so far,’ Jordan said. ‘It was definitely worth you spending weeks in Wales getting her and her boyfriend to break up. You think it’s gonna last this time?’

      Michael swallowed a lump in his throat and just listened to the hum of voices around him for a few seconds. ‘I hope so,’ he replied.

      ‘I mean, are you guys like forever?’ Jordan continued completely unaware of Michael’s discomfort. ‘You gonna get married and have kids?’

      Michael thought about this idea. He could see it- really see it. They would live somewhere just outside of a city, so it felt like they were in the countryside, but their kids could go to school nearby. Their house would be a huge old barn, turned into a luxurious home. The original barn doors would still be there in the sitting room and in the summer they could open it up so that the whole of one wall was gone, and they had an amazing view, looking out on their large garden, and their impressive lake. There would be a pier sticking out into the lake, perfect for diving off into the dark water.

     It was a ridiculous vision, of a house that would cost millions, but he could see himself living there with Debby and being happy.

      ‘Yeah,’ he replied to Jordan at last. ‘I’m pretty sure it’s forever.’ But Jordan wasn’t even looking at Michael anymore; his eyes were on the other side of the room.

     ‘Why’s Manda talking to Sebastian?’ he asked, not looking away. Michael followed the direction of his gaze and found Manda. Manda was short for Amandala. It was a unique name for a unique person. Manda was half South African and Jordan was in love with her. Michael could understand why- Manda was pretty incredible, with her hot body and her crazy hair. She was the type of person who could just walk up to anyone and get along with them. The only problem was that she tended to put everyone in the friend category and so romantic interests never got far.

     ‘Why not?’ Michael asked. ‘They’re allowed to talk.’

     ‘Well, isn’t Seb gay?’ Jordan pointed out, his eyebrows creasing down in a frown.

     ‘So?’ Michael said. ‘Why does that mean she shouldn’t talk to him?’

     ‘It’s not that she’s talking to him,’ Jordan explained. ‘It’s the way she’s talking to him. Doesn’t she look like she’s flirting?’

     Michael shook his head gently in disbelief. ‘Seriously mate, you need to get over Manda,’ he advised. ‘She’s made it clear so many times that she’s not interested.’

     Jordan spun round to glare at his friend. ‘Listen to yourself Michael!’ he exclaimed. ‘You just can’t give up on an ass like that.’

     Michael let out a snort of laughter. ‘Her ass is great, I get it,’ he admitted. ‘We’ve had this conversation so many times before.’

      Jordan had turned back to look at Manda, and clearly wasn’t listening. ‘I’m going over there,’ he announced, walking off.

     ‘Good luck!’ Michael called after him. He smiled to himself for a second. Jordan could have all the luck in the world, but Manda would never go for him; she’d made that very clear.